Old 13-Jul-2005, 16:25
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
Quote:
Originally posted by JPM
Quote:
Originally posted by Gizmo
Did you manage to get them to fit??

i've bought a set of 05's and am having same problem fitting to my 04 999S, the vertical cover won't go between frame and engine , only way i can see is to remove engine.

Go on Mike, it'll give you something to do at least

yeah, i could clean all the bolts and hard to reach bits while i was on might be a wee bit expensive if the dealer has to remove the engine to change the belts though

can't see a way of fitting them, the 05 frame or engine must be different to allow additonal space.
Old 13-Jul-2005, 16:50
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
Can't see the frame or engine being different somehow. What would the gain be?
Old 13-Jul-2005, 17:23
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by Twinfan
Can't see the frame or engine being different somehow. What would the gain be?

Something is, the 05 covers do not fit through the gap, i've tried everyway other than removing the airbox.
Old 13-Jul-2005, 17:33
Big Twin

Looking at DPP catalogue the covers they supply only fit 749/999 pre 04 and 999R up to 03 so i think the 04 999R and all 05 model are different. the covers i bought are a copy of DPP forced air kit which is meant to fit all models.
Old 14-Jul-2005, 07:32
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Looking at DPP catalogue the covers they supply only fit 749/999 pre 04 and 999R up to 03 so i think the 04 999R and all 05 model are different. the covers i bought are a copy of DPP forced air kit which is meant to fit all models.
You are right,the catalogue has two cover kits;
96952703B is a plain cover set to fit '03 999R,all 749/999 to model year '04 and all 749 Dark.

96443303B is the vented set c/w vee peice to fit 749/999,....BUT IT DOES'NT STATE WHAT MODEL YEAR!!
There is a note at the foot of the page that states they wont fit the 999S upgrade kit with the racing heads and barrels,but thats it!
Cant see how the engine and frame are differant between '04 and '05.
Old 14-Jul-2005, 10:42
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
Quote:
Cant see how the engine and frame are differant between '04 and '05

That's what I thought...
Old 14-Jul-2005, 12:04
GTL

Mood: going for a ride...
Quote:
Originally posted by butch890
749r has much shorter barrels.

are you sure ?

the 749R has a shorter stroke than other models but this is dictated by the conrods , not the barrel length.
Old 16-Jul-2005, 06:59
WSB Hero

Quote:
Did you manage to get them to fit??

i've bought a set of 05's and am having same problem fitting to my 04 999S, the vertical cover won't go between frame and engine , only way i can see is to remove engine.
They fit!!........well kinda.
I bought Gizmo's carbon covers and fitted them last night.
What an absolute beeatch of a job tho.
First remove the origional covers.Start with the front cylinder,then the triangular cover in the centre,followed by the rear.The first two covers came off easy enough,but I did'nt think the rear was ever going to come out.My covers are the vented type as standard,so they are slighly thicker than the ordinary ones.
To give myself more room,I undid the oil breather pipe and catch tank,then let them hang on the side of the bike.The tank and seat were also propped up.
The rear cover would not just pull out as the frame tubes are in the way.What you have to do is pull the cover forward slightly,then twist it to the left.The cover can then be removed towards the rear of the bike.
Laying the carbon covers and my plastic origionals on the floor,they looked almost identical.I say almost because the originals had a chamfer moulded into the rear cover.More of that later.
The rear cover went on easy enough,bring it in from the rear of the bike,then twist it into position.Doddle,now I had the knack........
Fitting the centre section was the worst bit.First off,none of the holes for the fixing screws lined up.No problem,I'll just drill them out,.......about four times before it came right.
Then I noticed it was'nt sitting under the rear cover correctly due to some 'flashing' near one of the screw lugs catching the crankcases.Took it of again and attacked it with a file.
It now fitted better,but I just could'nt get it under the rear cover correctly.Then I remembered the origional cover had the chamfered edge on it.This is to allow the cover to move slightly while you fit the centre section,so took it all off again and attacked the rear cover with a round file.After two attempts,I got it to fit right the third time.
Phew,now to fit the front cover,....
I offered the cover up and it seemed to fit ok.The standard vented covers have a little filter in the funnel to stop dirt and dust getting into the belts.The carbon covers had holes drilled in the back to accept the filter,.......in the wrong place!
Out with the Black and Decker again!
With the filter fitted and the cover in place it was time to fit the screws.Four out of five went straight in,but the fifth was miles out,best get the drill out then!
With all the screws and bolts fitted,I stood back to admire the bling.Not bad!
Shame the fairing covers two thirds of them!
Old 16-Jul-2005, 09:44
Big Twin

Glad you got them to fit Keefy, theres no way i could get the rear cover to go in from the back of bike, i'd removed all the pipework just like you, tank etc and even had rear brake resevoir off, the covers caught on the cam tensioners rollers no matter which way they went in.at one point i was contemplating taking rear exhaust manifold off and removing pipework, typing this I've just realised i've got the 57mm full system which may have reduced space
Old 16-Jul-2005, 16:49
WSB Hero

Here's a pic of them fitted.
Bling!