Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 26-Aug-2005, 00:57
Montjuic

Tickover Adjustment

I've just taken delivery of my new 749 but the tickover is a bit low. The engine sometimes stops at the lights and junctions which is really irritating. I can't see anything in the manual about it and the shop said you can't adjust it, any ideas?
I did think about leaving the choke lever on slightly as apparently it's not a choke but a fast tickover lever.
Old 26-Aug-2005, 01:11
500SD

Oooh, you don't want to do that. The cable that connects the fast idle lever to the throttle bodies goes tight as you turn left lock. Having the revs rise unexpectedly just as you're performing a slow speed manoeuvre is a recipe for disaster

Apart from that, I can't be of any help - not had a problem with idle speed so not looked at how to change it
Old 26-Aug-2005, 01:15
Big Twin

The engine cutting out is a common problem, sorted with some bikes at the first service with changes to the CO...I'm not 100% sure, its been documented on here before though, so perhaps a little search will help you more.

Since having the Termis and PCIII set up, mine hasnt stalled once.
Old 26-Aug-2005, 01:24
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
We did Chippy's 749 a while back around at Senna3's workshop, getting the top of the airbox off was a real pain.
Next time we will work out where to drill the whole to allow access for a screw driver to make the adjustment.
Since we did the bike has run a lot better and it cured the cutting out problem

http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/xm...4414#pid125091
Old 26-Aug-2005, 14:46
Big Twin

Mood: Train comes and I know its destination
I've been told that the CO adjustment is made initially to meet EC emissions regulations.
As indicated above, ask for a further adjustment at the 1st service, the dealer may well be happy to do this for you.

M.O.T time in the future will be a bit disruptive, you need to get your dealer singing from the same hymn sheet
Old 26-Aug-2005, 16:05
GTL

Mood: going for a ride...
Quote:
Originally posted by skidlids
We did Chippy's 749 a while back around at Senna3's workshop, getting the top of the airbox off was a real pain.
Next time we will work out where to drill the whole to allow access for a screw driver to make the adjustment.
Since we did the bike has run a lot better and it cured the cutting out problem

http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/xm...4414#pid125091

You could have used the hole that the factory put in the side of the airbox , it's just below and behind where the L/H airtube joins the box , it has a small black bung in it.

Observation is everything
Old 26-Aug-2005, 16:09
Mille

Mood: Great
Have the same problem with my 749S, tickover was 1000/1100 and engine kept stopping at lights. Just had first service and now tickover is 1300 but still cuts out now and again + I now have a flat spot at 4500 to 5500 revs. Going in again on Tuesday to see if they can sort it. Riders Bridgwater said it needs a power commander which will sort it so I said if you are offering to fit one free thats OK with me. You never know!
Old 26-Aug-2005, 16:43
Ducati Dealer
GTL

Mood: Just fallen in love with road riding again!
the tickover fuel / air mixture can be adjusted by any Duc dealer, if they run lean they often cut out when idling. get the dealer to measure the air/fuel ratio on tickover with it hot and adjust it til its right.
Old 26-Aug-2005, 18:39
Ducati Corse

Loz, they don't test emissions as part of the motorbike MOT test.
Old 26-Aug-2005, 18:47
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
My 03 749s did exactly the same ... and still does once in a blue moon.

Had the CO2 adjusted at 600 mile service when the race can went on and it cured it, well almost. Going back in for it's next service and will get them to see if the can sort it 100%.

Agree with the comments about using the "choke". Full lock turns will make the engine race if you've got the "choke" on.