Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 20-Jul-2005, 18:07
Big Twin

Are youthe pants who used to post on VD way back when?
Old 20-Jul-2005, 18:47

'Fraid not...
Old 21-Jul-2005, 23:27
Montjuic

Hi Pants,

Quick check to see if it has been cared for; Have a look at the head tube, espically the small lug on the front. If the bike has been down the road, handle bars would have probably whiplashed side to side knocking or damaging this lug. Easy check.....
Old 22-Jul-2005, 09:26

Groovieee, thanks rapid. I'm in the process of sniffing around for one and I'm leaning towards the idea of getting it from a dealer, just for that extra piece of mind.

One thing I've noticed though is that the are substantially more expensive than over in the UK, AND, the don't hang around much. I've phoned a number of people and dealers and most tend to be sold in a fortnight.

If I get lucky and find one I like I’ll be on here like a bullet, so I want EVERONE checking in here ever 30 mins or so supplying me with all info...

Finally, does a list exist where I can see all the different versions of the 748 of different years with all different options, does such a document exist (alla Kazaa?), or again, point me in the right direction. Oh does anyone know when (Miles/km) the services are meant to be done and roughly how much each cost...

Thanks again everyone, you’ve been great.
Old 22-Jul-2005, 13:37

Just had a brain-wave.

Does anyone have or know of an imported 748 for sale?

Is there anywhere I can look for imported Ducatis that need a new owner?

d
Old 22-Jul-2005, 16:10
500SD
Bikes: multistrada, 748R/916

Mood: one very coool cat!
imported?? they are all imported to us. Let me get this right, you are in milan and you can't find a decent ducati to buy?? well there seem to be loads for sale in the UK - check out MCN online. i am on my second 748, current is the end of the line late 2002 model 748E(biposto) in yellow and it is a great bike, previous was a similar spec but 2001 model, stolen by some ************* so when you do get your pride and joy - bolt it down. For everyday use the E or biposto is OK, the 748R would be ideal, but not for everyday riding...maybe the S is the best of both worlds??
Old 03-Aug-2005, 18:14

More annoying questions

Ok gents. Here’s an update on the sniffing around for a 748.

Ideally I’d like 200ish 748S with the dark frame and funky Marchesini. Well that’s what I’ve set my heart on. Is it true that the Marchesini came as standard after 1999? And is the only difference between the standard E and S that the S has the uprated front suspension, adjustable head (plate) and 5 spoke wheel from 1999 onwards?

Anyway, Italy shuts down during August as everyone buggers off on holiday. But in September some is selling a 748 (pretty sure it’s an E) with Termignoni.

Here are the vitals:

- 2000 model
- 23,000km on the clock
- Did the first check up with Ducati. The others he had done by a friend who works for Ducati Corse in Bologna (he also works for Ducati – tracked do you think? Looks mint however).
- He has admitted that it has been dropped (from silly slow speed) but has been fixed and is perfect.
- Needs new chain + pinion (is that expensive? I'm counting on 150 sterling)

Wa da ya think?

Will these little bikes handle a few hard track days a year ok or do they get temperamental? Oh, and has anyone had an “Ever Red” guarantee on a 2nd hand bike before, any good?

Finally, I get the feeling that perhaps people would rather take their bike to a trusted mechanic rather than an official Ducati dealer. I know this is a general question, but are the dealer generally competent and decent or are they just out to make a profit and see Ducati owners as rich kids and should be punished accordingly…?

PS: Thanks again for all previous help. It is and was thoroughly appreciated.
Old 03-Aug-2005, 18:21
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Lots of questions ... can't answer them all because I've never really looked at 748's but I would say that I wouldn't be concerned about the bike doing a few track days as long as the services have been kept up. I got mine 'over' serviced because it was doing a few track days - ie, changed the belts and oil early and still maintained the normal service schedule.