Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 09-May-2005, 12:15
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Shaking bars

I'm baffled by this one, never experienced this previously, just wondering if anyone has had a similar thing and this is normal, or as I am fearing it maybe something more serious.

When riding the 999 I occasionally take both hands off the bands to flex my aching wrists I tend to do this as I am slowing down towards t/lights etc anyways did this yesterday and somewhere between 60 slowing down to 50 the bars shake slowly then more violently, if I grab them, and drop below 50 and remove my hands again fine no wobbles, and vice versa above 60 no wobbles.

At first I thought it could be the road surface kicking the whole motion off, but tried it throughout the day and it's consistent. Otherwise the bike feels and rides fine, even within the 50-60 limits with my hands on the bars there doesn't appear to be any movement/shakes, just when I let go...

Old 09-May-2005, 12:31
Mille

Mood: Erratic
Tyres?
Old 09-May-2005, 12:38
BSB Star

Well that's an option, but they're both new (front and rear), doesn't mean it couldn't be a dodgy one, the wheel (front) runs true though.
Old 09-May-2005, 12:39
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally posted by JPM
I'm baffled by this one, never experienced this previously, just wondering if anyone has had a similar thing and this is normal, or as I am fearing it maybe something more serious.

When riding the 999 I occasionally take both hands off the bands to flex my aching wrists I tend to do this as I am slowing down towards t/lights etc anyways did this yesterday and somewhere between 60 slowing down to 50 the bars shake slowly then more violently, if I grab them, and drop below 50 and remove my hands again fine no wobbles, and vice versa above 60 no wobbles.

At first I thought it could be the road surface kicking the whole motion off, but tried it throughout the day and it's consistent. Otherwise the bike feels and rides fine, even within the 50-60 limits with my hands on the bars there doesn't appear to be any movement/shakes, just when I let go...

Isn't that a test recommended when you're test riding a bike to see if it's straight?

Old 09-May-2005, 12:41
GTL

Could it be that the front hasn't been balanced correctly? Speed sensitive wobbling certainly sounds like it could be a balance issue.
Old 09-May-2005, 12:43
BSB Star

Ian that's my theory also, just took me ages to notice it really, I don't feel it through the bars when I am riding though.
Old 09-May-2005, 12:49
Big Twin

Mood: Diet
or a balance weight has dropped off.
Old 09-May-2005, 13:16

Freddy!

I had a similar problem on my 916, and like you I only really noticed it with no hands on the bars. Mine was caused by the front 207GP having a defective carcuss.

Changed the tyre, and all was lovely again.
Old 09-May-2005, 13:36
BSB Star

Quote:
Originally posted by MaccLad
Freddy!

I had a similar problem on my 916, and like you I only really noticed it with no hands on the bars. Mine was caused by the front 207GP having a defective carcuss.

Changed the tyre, and all was lovely again.

Damo,

You know you could be right as I'm running a 208GP...

Luckily I have several sets of spares, might try swapping that this weekend...
Old 09-May-2005, 13:43
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Jon,

Its not an uncommon trait with many bikes at certain speeds. I've experienced it a few times on different bikes. i once read a technical feature about it ages ago, went way above my head but it can happen on perfectly maintained bikes as well as yours