Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 27-Apr-2004, 12:31
Mille

Snapped Chain Anyone!!!!!

Went for a run out on Saturday.....lasted all of 45mins before......no drive.....thought the box had jumped outa gear but.......the chain had snapped! I'd just fitted a 520VM DID C&S kit less than 900miles ago, it was tensioned & lubed correctly, two of the links (not the soft link either) had snapped! I've returned it to the dealer in question who's sent it back to DID for "examination" just wondered if anyone else had had any problems?
Old 27-Apr-2004, 13:18
everton

Never happened to me Neil..............but could be very nasty depending on how fast you were going and what kind of load it was under when it happened.

It happened to a mate on a R1 once and took a huge chunk of bonnet out of the Mondeo that was following him at the time.
Old 27-Apr-2004, 13:26
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
I was going to fit a DID chain, but I was warned off them 'cos of there being a dodgy batch that had got into the supply chain (no pun intended) somewhere, and they were prone to going ping.

Urban myth or fact?

I had a Tsubaki fitted instead
Old 27-Apr-2004, 15:53

Glad to hear you didn't come a cropper. Nasty business, and bloody lucky it didn't do any damage.

Happened to me a few times when I was a skint despatch rider with cheap chains. One wrapped itself round the rear sprocket and locked the wheel....

Last time it happened I was doing about 100 on the Autoroute on the way back from the Nurburgring. It was the OEM chain on my Speed Triple. I went to adjust it before I left but realised I had no adjustment left (eccentric adjuster hub - not so easy to see how much adjustment remains).

About 30 miles away from Calais something went BANG and suddenly I had no drive. I thought it was the gearbox, as I was shifting down and getting nothing, but pulled up on the hard shoulder and realised the chain had fecked off.

Upon exiting the bike it had removed a lump out of the seat unit, gouged the underside of the pillion footrest, and destroyed my hugger. Fortunately it didn't touch my girlfriend though....

Scared the crap out of the poor bloke on a Hayabusa who was following me.

Nowadays I have a Scottoiler and keep a good eye on my chain!

Strayed off the point a bit there though - hope you get yours sorted and no doubt with a new one you'll have no problems.

Nik
Old 27-Apr-2004, 18:05
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: st2......we can rebuild
iwas warned about the d.i.d chain aswell went for the same as jools.
Old 06-May-2004, 12:46

Chain

I had a d.i.d. chain snap on me a few years ago - put a hairline crack in my sump, which about a month later started weeping oil. Very expensive to repair. Check your bike carefully - and make sure you claim for all damage !
Old 08-May-2004, 11:56
Mille

Went into the dealer in question yesterday (Duke dealer in Newcastle) and guess what, still no reply Grrrrrr. I need a new chain as I'm off to France next week! So I gave Baines a ring (most places on the hill only sell DID's) and asked about their 530 conversion.....but they don't do em anymore, and they don't deal with DID for reasons they woulodn't discuss on the phone They gave me a price on a Regina of 78+vat which is more than the DID but if it doesn't snap.....dunno whether to order a smaller front sprocket & K&N off em at the same time (I'd assume postage was the same).....anyone got any thoughts?
Old 09-May-2004, 07:53
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Quite worried about this thread now as I only fitted a gold DID chain awhile back on mine. Likewise fully lubed and it has not needed adjustment even after two trackdays.

I'd of been tempted to approach DID's importer / distributor direct for an answer.

I think youve been very lucky in the event but obviously would liek some answers.

When I changed sprokets on mine I went for a larger rear as i was advised that the run becomes tight around any sprocket smaller than standard......fingers crossed.

Good luck
Old 12-May-2004, 02:08

Happened to my brother in law on his 900ss on the way to the ferry to the IoM in 2002. Brand new, fitted at M&S I believe.
Old 05-Aug-2004, 13:47
Mille

Finally (how long's this been) got something out of M&S (Duke dealer).........a new chain (lots of use).......after a bit of arguing they gave me cost price back for the chain, but it was "without prejudice"............i.e. not admitting liabillity! All I can say is that if anyone's got a gold DID 520VM chain fitted, check the side plates (the gold ones) very carefully I already know of one SS owner who I recounted the tale to (who I know well and bought the same chain a day after me from M&S) who promptly cut theirs off & replaced it!.......Now, I've just got to have a good complain to DID & Bickers (the importers)........for the length of time & poor service (I'm not this bad all the time.....honest, but it was pretty shoddy on all accounts!)