Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 25-May-2006, 12:45
Mille

Mood: Beige.....
Help the planet.

If your on a LAN at work and your companies Firewall rule will allow the port required out, (looks like it should as it appears to be 80) - it's worth installing.

Similar to the Cancer, (and similar) - client app that doubles as a screen saver it will utilise your computers resources to perform a calculation as part of a worldwide Beowulf / Super Computer. The calculations will hopefully be used to predict a little bit more detailed the issues of global warming.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sn/hottopics/cl...ownload1.shtml

Red sky at night – Shepard’s delight.
Drown sheep in the morning - global warming.
Old 25-May-2006, 12:49
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
A lot of corporate content management systems block this sort of thing.

Not to mention firewalls that do application monitoring to check the actual traffic going through the port, not just port filtering.

Sounds like a good idea, but check your arrangement on network usage with your employer before you commence! After all, they're paying for the bandwidth!

[Edited on 25-5-2006 by TP]
Old 25-May-2006, 13:06
Mille

Ours is pretty tight, but it appears to be wrapped in HTML over port 80 so it's getting through fine. Unless you have specific content blocking to source IP, which is pretty hard as it appears to use P2P - then it should work OK. It's endorsed by The BBC and it's for a good cause. The bandwidth shouldn't be an issue as it's batched so it only links up to send your calcultations and download new ones to process - about the same as a few ICMP Pings. I haven't had to make any modifications to my ISA ruleset and the logs appear to show http traffic over port 80 for new jobs to be done.

I don't wear green tights or carry banners, just figured I'd use my resources while I wasn't using them. A bit like eBay was originaly intended I think

[Edited on 25-5-2006 by desmobob]
Old 25-May-2006, 15:07
Mille

Mood: Very thirsty
I've been signed up to this one on the home computer - seems a good cause. They had a problem not long after they started the project and had to reset everyones experiment, but it's all hunky dory now - I'm about 2.5% of the way through.

I do wonder how much extra electricity I'm burning leaving my machine on over night - that can't be helping the global warming !!
Old 25-May-2006, 15:49
Mille

Glad to see other people are attempting to do something, it doesn't all mean having to eat recycled poo roll, I'm at 0.3 so far ... pants I know.
A modern computer configured to support 'power saving' mode left switched on will use far less electricity than the same equivalent computer powered off and powered back on again. It's on 'spinning-up' the disk and 'firing-up guns' in a CRT screen (different in an LCD screen I admit) - that eats the most power.
Windows will always attempt to run 'in memory' and not 'page to disk' - whenever possible unless your resources dictate otherwise. At night when your asleep and you leave the app running it will no doubt utilise so little resource, (assuming you have enough Volatile RAM) - that your Hard Disk will 'spin down'. With the monitor in 'power saving' mode due to no screen updates it will use less than having to power the machine up the following day, not to mention the amount of time it takes to boot the O/S.

[Edited on 25-5-2006 by desmobob]