Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 21-May-2013, 18:02
Mille
Bikes: Class B 600ss #99

Anyone ever used this oil in their 600?

anyone ever used this oil in there 600? ive been to cadwell today to test the bike out and the clutch slips really bad. http://bit.ly/14NIZu8
Old 21-May-2013, 18:18
Mille

I haven't ridden it before today so have no idea if it could be just the oil or if it is the clutch itself.
Old 21-May-2013, 18:37
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
Fully synthetic should not make the clutch slip on a 600, 620 will slip though, but i have never used that grade oil before, why not pop into Italia and speak to Terry and sort a race package deal with him

Chris
Old 21-May-2013, 19:30
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Silkolene comp4 is my oil of choice. Been using itbsince about 2001 when i moved into Sound of Thunder with well over twice the power of a class B bike and still use it in my Class A bike. never had any clutch issues or any other iszusue with it.

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 21-May-2013, 20:39
Mille

Thanks for the replies. There must be a problem with the clutch then.
Whilst I'm on the subject of by bikes problems I have another question if anyone may have any suggestions why after my 1st session today or once the bike was warlmed up it decided to idel at nearly 3000rpm and its not down to the choke or throttle cables catching.
Old 21-May-2013, 21:07
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campo
Thanks for the replies. There must be a problem with the clutch then.
Whilst I'm on the subject of by bikes problems I have another question if anyone may have any suggestions why after my 1st session today or once the bike was warlmed up it decided to idel at nearly 3000rpm and its not down to the choke or throttle cables catching.

Try using a semi synthetic oil, as it may be down to the make of plates, did the clutch still slip on the second /third session?

Being a race bike it will probably have a dynojet kit in it and also the tickover will have been increased, and that is a sympton of a hot bike with a high initial tickover.

Chris
Old 21-May-2013, 21:30
Mille

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.p
Try using a semi synthetic oil, as it may be down to the make of plates, did the clutch still slip on the second /third session?

Being a race bike it will probably have a dynojet kit in it and also the tickover will have been increased, and that is a sympton of a hot bike with a high initial tickover.

Chris
Thanks Chris. Yes been slipping every session through all the gears when hard on the gas. I have just been reading about clutch slipping issues related to the hydraulic system and there seems to be a couple of things I can check relating to that seems as though I did change the clutch fluid at the weekend and I'm no mechanic by any means.
Old 21-May-2013, 23:33
500SD
Bikes: Honda CB350 K4, Ducati 749s

I'm from Yorkshire so wouldn't spend on fully synth oil unless i really had too!! I only use semi synth ( rock oil 10w / 40 ) and its never given me an problems on the DD bike. I did have really bad clutch slip once on my Cbr but that was down to clutch plates bring worn out and probably the wrong stack height. I don't know about the oil for the Ducati 600s but wouldn't see that as the problem. Might be worth checking the manual for recommended oil and stack height.

Last edited by Spjallen : 22-May-2013 at 12:03.
Old 22-May-2013, 05:26
Big Twin

If you have an adjustable clutch lever make sure you have enough free play. Even the coffin shaped master cylinders have room for adjustment in the lever.
Old 22-May-2013, 07:31
Mille

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunlop0_1
If you have an adjustable clutch lever make sure you have enough free play. Even the coffin shaped master cylinders have room for adjustment in the lever.
I will have a play with the clutch lever 1st then that sounds like the most simple thing to check 1st. I have 996 levers on it.