Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 10-Jun-2005, 14:20
Big Twin

Mood: renegade sexy racer
I have a rear projection 50”wide screen Pioneer TV, big room only used with DVD or digital is fine.
I get all my home cinema equipment form a friend with a serious habit and very deep pockets.
Wouldn’t like to pay for it.
Old 10-Jun-2005, 17:46
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by rockhopper
Also bear in mind that plasma ones are only usually guaranteed for 10,000 hours which is about four years typical usage.

That's a bit of anti plasma spin.

On the very early models, 10,000 hours of running at full brightness on a single field of white will cause a reduction of the peak brightness level, but it's hardly noticeable unless you use an ISF calibration tool. Mines got over 10K ours on it ( there's a counter on the Panasonic hidden menus) and it's exactly the same output as when it was calibrated.

Pro's and cons

Rear Projections cheap for a large screen, but you'll want (need) to get it calibrated to get the best out of it. Most of the ISF calibration guys in the UK avoid them because they're a pain, and the geometry changes with the weather ( temp & humidty causes variation in the mounts). Repeat this each time you move it. Physically large though

CRT's simply cannot get perfect geometry, but, the way they work does produce a nicer image for the average eye. Also cheap, but bit and power hungry.

Plasma's and LCD's can (when calibrated) have perfect geometry and are most likely to be HiDef compatible. It's unlikely you'll ever see a Hi Def CRT in the lower end of the market, if at all as manufacturers are moving away from tubes. They also take up a lot less space, will allow DVI and HDCP inputs and look seriously cool They're alos more likely to have a correct setup "out of the box".

Also, if you're planning for HiDef, Sky are implementing HDCP on all their HD transmissions, so you need a display that's not only HD compliant, but also HDCP.

ISF Calibration is worth getting done

Gordon at Convergent does mine.

http://www.convergent-av.co.uk/

If you're looking to buy a big screen now, look for one which supports Progressive Scan, and has a built in upscaler, or consider buying a scaler too. Makes another great leap in quality.

Another thing to consider though, is there's not point having a great TV to watch, then feeding it with a £29.99 DVD player, or TV from an aerial, it's plain wrong.......

[Edited on 10-6-2005 by Mr_S]
Old 10-Jun-2005, 18:05
Ducati Meccanica

If anyones interested in one, I've down graded to a smaller unit so I have the following TV for sale in the next two weeks.

Toshiba 36'' picture frame 2 TV, complete with all surround sound speakers etc. Cost me £1800 and is approx 15mths old. in as new condtion, an excellent peice of kit, inputs/outputs for everything. It has an extended warranty until oct 2008.
Far superior to the current picture frame 3 model.
U2u me for details.

cheers
robin
Old 10-Jun-2005, 22:10
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
I got me 37" of plasma pleasure.
Panasonic Viera,the dogs doo da's.
Old 11-Jun-2005, 12:53
Big Twin
Bikes: Xdaivel

Mood: Xdiavel..awesome!!
I have a 42" rear projection toshiba in my room blinding picture quality im about 2.5 m from it to. Value for money the the best, I looked at 36" crt but they go back so far massive!! this ones only about 38cm deep.

With a component connection from the dvd and rgb from the digi box awesome picture to
Old 11-Jun-2005, 15:02
Mille
Bikes: 748

Mood: C'est la vie...
My father has a 72' rear projector by a company called Synelec (France): Excellent picture quality.

When watching the recent grand prix i had the impression i was sitting in the car!

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit