Ducati Sporting Club UK

Prev   Next
Old 13-Aug-2009, 18:14

916 charging problem...yes, another one!

Hi Guys,
I'm hoping someone out there can give me a few pointers with my 916 charging fault.
For quite a while my alternator has only been putting out around half of what its supposed to (at each point in the rev range, the unregulated output reads about half what the manual says it should). As I tend to go for very long rides and the bike is on an Optimate in between rides, I don't usually have a problem. The reduced output seems to keep the battery good enough for a restart or two.
If I ride with my headlights on for any length of time though it seems to be too much for the system and its bump-time.
I've lived with this situation for a year or two and put up with it. I have bought a brand new alternator on good old ebay but not got round to fitting it (2 phase type).
Also (I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but thought I'd mention it) my revcounter seems to please itself whether to work or not. Sometimes it shows a reading but most of the time the needle stays dead.
Last week I was on my way home and giving it some beans (69mph, officer) and the thing just died.
Luckily it was just the 3amp fuse (right hand switchgear and reg/rec)
Because the fus had blown, it was as though the kill switch had been turned on - and the starter wouldn't operate either.
Today, I got the bike out to go for a ride and managed about three miles before the fuse went again.
When I put a meter across the battery there is no increase in the volts when the engine is run and revved (it reads 12.6v regardless). The unregulated alternator output is still half what it should be.
Why is it now blowing fuses?
Has the reg/rec now gone too?
Does the revcounter problem anything to do with it?
Did anyone see the comets last night?
(Sorry, wrong forum)
It looks like now would be a good time to fit the alternator, is the reg/rec likely to be duff now too? What problems can I expect in fitting the alt?
Any thoughts on why my fuses are blowing?

Your help would be appreciated.