Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 18-Apr-2006, 17:58
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Nowt wrong with the standard 748R slipper when the plates are assembled correctly, which can take a bit of swapping around time to find the best solution, I've been running the same 748R clutch for 4 years now, originally it was in my 916 used for road and track (SoT racing)and now it is in my 996. Since putting it in the 996 it now suffers the same problem as Weeksy's which it didn't when in the 916. Problem is I didn't remove it from the 916 so the plate order may have got swapped.
In other bikes I have a JHP and a FBF bearing and ramp slipper clutch and the 748R clutch compares very well and will do for most people, hence me still having one in the 996.
I know Mark Edwards had one in his 748RS when he beat Phil Bevan to the NG SoT championship title about 4 years ago, after every race his mate would pull it apart, clean it measure the thicness of the plates as a pack and carefully rebuild, some times fitting new dished plates.
Old 18-Apr-2006, 18:26
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Ive had enough of this poor mans, wanna be performance bike conversation...................i shall continue over on the successful modern bike section! :P:P
Old 18-Apr-2006, 18:28
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/xm...=6740#pid56349
Old 18-Apr-2006, 18:41
Big Twin

Mood: Waiting at the Crossroads......
Weeksy2......

Don't look too much into getting the clutch issue resolved.....mine does exactly the same....I live with it.

OK - it's a bit of a p*sser away from the lights when the 600/750/1000 zips off down the road but as soon as you get to the first corner, while they're wobbling into it - ride ride the outside of them - lean over and flick their kill switch to 'off'.......

works for me....

Take it easy dude....

Enjoy....

Old 18-Apr-2006, 19:10
Big Twin

Mood: I've just ordered a new bike and its a ..
So ladies,If you want it for the road or want to 1/4 mile it only and it winds you up,fit one from a 748S,if you do track days fit an STM or similar and or do all the afore mentioned mods.

Is that about the long and short of it??????????
Old 18-Apr-2006, 19:30
DaveB916

Only once had problem you describe and it was before fitting a very open clutch cover. Simply stripped out the plates which were dirty/dusty one even a slight surface rust!!

Cleaned with a little 1200 grit on the steels and eh presto fine again.

I now simply get the compressor and whilst the engine is running pull in the clutch and blow out all the s**e, never had the problem since I started doing that, maybe a coincidence?!?!?!

Slippers will get dirty quicker simply by the fact they are slipping if you are gearing down quickly, I find there is a lot of s**e blown out after a trackday working it hard.

Assume you are using sintered frictions??

Old 19-Apr-2006, 08:38
Big Twin

Mood: R1's are better than Ducatis'
Nice thread gents... thanks for all of that.

will get a look at it after TDs next week.