Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 09-Jan-2004, 23:32
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 1098

Mood: Chilled
if you did not!

steer the old bikes into the corners using the rear brake ! then you did not go around the corner !!!!!!!!!! oh i'm talking kwack (H) 1's
Old 10-Jan-2004, 00:15
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: '01 Ducati 748R and '04 Mille RSVR

Mood: Awaiting the arrival of the sun and the disappearance of the rain
Madmav,

I've had several pints of Websters by now so may be talking crap, but as a mere non-WSB mortal I occasionally get the odd corner wrong and I find the back brake is ideal for scrubbing off speed without any fear of washing the front out.

It works for me and that's all that counts..........to me!!!!

Guido (half cut and enjoying it but not looking forward to the 20-odd mile push-bike ride with my British Champion Wheelchair Athlete mate early tomorrow am )

P.S. Antonye, Take the pedal off and lube all the linkage and also the piston/pushrod. I reckon youll be fine matey

[Edited on 10-1-2004 by Guido]
Old 10-Jan-2004, 09:32
Ducati Corse

Remember that if the bike will get round the coner wih the brakes on then it will certainly get round without them! Just lean it a bit more. Braking with the bike leaning means the tyre has to do two jobs, braking and cornering. Take away the braking and there is more grip left for cornering. (unless you are on slicks or super sticky road tyres i guess).

The Police will tell you that most accidents on bends happen around 20mph less than what they would concider to be an "interesting" speed for that bend!!
Old 10-Jan-2004, 12:48
500SD

Mood: I can live with backpain!
I use mine all the time,though like you weeksy I ride with the ball of my foot on the peg and then shift it off as I enter a bend, if nothing else it gives me a bit more confidence to carry speed on the road(rightly or wrongly)with the thought I can drift off a bit of speed if I've gone in a bit faster than I realised-rare these days as I scare too easily.
My master cylinder went last year,the seal developed a leak which let air into the system which meant the rear brake worked once and then gave up with the pedal just hanging loose-Nelly sorted it out for me,not too expensive either.:P
Old 10-Jan-2004, 17:38
Mille

Mood: The medication helps!
Interesting conversation, I don't use my back brake i have to agree with weeksy for once.

I too ride with the tips of my feet on the pegs, i find it better.

I find the duc so good in corners that if i do go in a bit hot i just trail the front brake very slightly. I know it would prob go round anyway but just makes me feel better. I have never had the front go away i just love how my bike takes the corners.

The problem is cos i don't use the bake brake it just goes soggy and needs bleeding every 6 months, when i say i don't use it i do but only when at a standstill.

My rear brake sticks from time to time though the lack on use i just strip it down and lube it with some light grease.

Mark
Old 10-Jan-2004, 20:54
Big Twin

Mood: Channel Swim is now a (bad) memory not a dream
Good debate

I always used my back brake - not sure why they would put one on the bike if not to be used. Then at the start of last season I started racing and began to learn how to really stop in a hurry - like nothing I'd ever done on a road or track before - you have to or 5 bikes go past you into the corner. I found I was too clumsy on the rear and kept locking it and had an excursion into the litter at Druids. Since then, I've NEVER used the rear brake on any of my bikes, even commuting to work.

Now I know that's not too sensible and all the big racers use them, so this season I might give it a go.

Regarding trailing the front into corners. Have you ever seen footage of the WSB/GP boys from the camera facing their right hand. There was one shot of Colin Edwards who had the brake on HARD until the apex, fully cranked over - what's all that about? Don't try this at home!!!! Edwards for winning MotoGP anyone?

WeeJohnyB
Old 10-Jan-2004, 21:02
Ducati Corse

With slicks on you can brake hard deep into the corner. I ride with two fingers always on the front brake but if i come to a quick corner i take my fingers off the lever once i'm comitted to the corner. The danger of trailing the front brake or keeping your fingers on the lever is that if something goes wrong then your natural reaction is to grab a handfull of brake. If your fingers are not on the lever then it takes that little bit longer and i tend to have more of a stab at getting the thing round the corner in the first place.

I only use the back brake at traffic lights etc.

Sorry, had a few beers tonight so this might not make much sense!!
Old 10-Jan-2004, 21:10
Mille

Mood: Long on Duke's...so happy
Might as well step on a piece of wood
Old 11-Jan-2004, 15:45
Mille

Mood: The medication helps!
You make perfect sens to me rockhopper

Interesting info WeeJohnyB, I will look closer next time.

I like it Mr Bostrom998

Mark
Old 11-Jan-2004, 17:01
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally posted by madmav
steer the old bikes into the corners using the rear brake ! then you did not go around the corner !!!!!!!!!! oh i'm talking kwack (H) 1's

Know where your coming from, My Kwack H1F was a real handful on the cornering front, Yam XS1100 wasn't a lot better and they were the ones with front disc brakes. To much use of the Front drum brakes on previous bikes could get you into serious trouble especially when coupled to the pogo suspension and Avon Slip Masters