Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 08-Oct-2004, 17:30
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
I dare say, that even if the rules allow for spending lots of money on the bike, at this level, the only reason you're going to get to get your arse kicked is that you're a riding too slow!
Old 08-Oct-2004, 17:34
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Any ideas as to what tracks it'd be on?
Old 08-Oct-2004, 17:37
BSB Star

Quote:
Originally posted by Felix
I dare say, that even if the rules allow for spending lots of money on the bike, at this level, the only reason you're going to get to get your arse kicked is that you're a riding too slow!

If I do this, I shall have extra padding on my derrière!
Old 08-Oct-2004, 17:59
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
I'll answer a couple of your questions Uncledunnie.

Overbore-this was to even up the 600's with the 620ie-the 620 makes 63bhp, the 600 about 55, so bore the 600 to 675 and voila more horsepower. Restricting the mods by having to have standard valves, cams, inlet ports, heads etc will stop to much money being spent in the pursuit of horsepower.
Chassis-why not cut bits off?-to keep it as standard as possible.

Make your minds up?-go buy a 600monster, you'll be safe then whatever happens.

John

[Edited on 8-10-2004 by Monty]
Old 08-Oct-2004, 18:03
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Tracks:

We are currently negotiating with New Era so it could be on the tracks they run. Since this would be a limited series it wouldn't start until probably May so would most likely be, Cadwell, Mallory, Snetterton and possibly Oulton.

John
Old 08-Oct-2004, 19:03
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
Regs say you can add a fairing. so nowt to stop you putting a dustbin on a monster.

Ray
Old 08-Oct-2004, 19:09
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally posted by ali
The theory would be SSs on the fast circuits (fairing) and monster on the twisties (slightly better power/weight). As I've already mentioned, some of us would suffer from a slight aerodynamic disadvantage on a monster.

I was planing on fitting a 916 fairing on a monster if thats what comes along at the right price. But I'm not doing anything until the rules are confirmed, after first reading the rules I thought excellent the right way to go racing.

Obviously others don't think so from what I've read, but after all my years in the club racing scene including the CB500s when they were on the BSB race program and with TT proddy rules changing on a yearly basis I can assure you this is a good set of rules.

Forget CB500s they have slowly died a death since there original conception last CB500 Race I saw WJB was 2nd and he was also the last 500 home which is the same amount that started that race. Minitwins runs a tight rule book that favours SV650s effectively making that a one make series.
I like the idea of mixing SS's with Monsters and 600s with 620s, variety adds to the spice of it all.

As for costs lets get real here, tomorrow I will be racing the 748 that I have for sale, I will be in the same race as the CSC 996RS a tuned 998R, well sorted Aprilia RSVs etc, etc.
Now bike is for sale at £2800 basically as I am racing it, you do not need to spend loads to go racing, OK I don't expect to come anywhere but I don't care, I'll be out there racing and If I can finish ahead of the odd bike that should be capable of beating mine then I'll be happy and I will still be learning.
Old 08-Oct-2004, 19:12
500SD

Mood: Pretty good considering....
I reckon there a bit too much testerostone around here already

Let's go back to the original purpose behind this. One of the main reasons we do trackdays is so that those who are trackday novices can put a toe in the water and get some experience. It's nice that it also appeals to lots more experienced trackdayers and also that it's an enjoyable social event, but those latter things would happen anyway, which leaves the novices happy to go out to play secure in the knowledge that they are 'amongst their own'.

The idea behind this is one step up. It's aimed at people who aren't racers, to give it a go and have some fun. It's about inclusion, not exclusion. Given the level of interest amongst people who have never raced, it seems to be well received. So sorry, WJB and Weeksy and other racers, it's not aimed at you (much as you'd obviously be welcome); you are already quite comfortable with the CB500 or whatever class, racing amongst others who aren't 'your gang'. It's not really about winning it's about getting the experience and if you like it, continue with it or maybe move up to a more 'serious' class.

So I think this is the wrong question:

Quote:
Originally posted by RattlerWould someone not compete because they couldn't run a 600SS?

How about if you phrased the question 'would someone who already has (or even has some other use for) a Monster 620 or a SS600/SS620 and fancies a go then sell their bike and buy a M600 so they could have a go? I very much doubt it. So that would exclude my £2,500 620 Monster riding-mate and a fair number of the possible UKMOC-ers who might be interested. So the cheque already written might have to be torn up.

Now I know booger all about the mods being discussed, though I know the rules have already been given a lot of thought in order to keep the cost down, but it seems to me when there's a fair chance that getting a full grid will be difficult, it would be daft to reduce the potential pool of players.

And anyway, isn't this all about getting your excuses in early

And I reckon it would be much better from an aesthetic point of view to have Monsters v SSs.
Old 08-Oct-2004, 19:16
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Is the series going to be for 1 bike, 1 rider...or is there anything to stop people entering as a team?

So if "Piston Broke Racing" got a bike together with, let's suppose, 4 riders, is there any reason why those folks couldn't just do a couple of races each?

Apart from the fact that those riders wouldn't get the experience of a full series and would remain the greenest of novices, and would probably stand naff all chance of any racing glory, is there anything to stop people doing this if they just want a taste of racing?

Another thought occurs, if sharing bikes was on the cards, how about if like minded people from each DSC region bought, prepared and raced a bike. Maybe you could have a team championship for each region, with a different person on the bike for each race? So, BHC crew against the Essex Boys? Berks Oxon and so on. It would also spread the riding talent around so that people with existing race experience would still have complete novices in the team?

Just a thought, but it would give each region someone to cheer and organise rideouts too.
Old 08-Oct-2004, 19:31
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Quote:
Originally posted by lizzie

So I think this is the wrong question:

Quote:
Originally posted by RattlerWould someone not compete because they couldn't run a 600SS?

How about if you phrased the question 'would someone who already has (or even has some other use for) a Monster 620 or a SS600/SS620 and fancies a go then sell their bike and buy a M600 so they could have a go? I very much doubt it. So that would exclude my £2,500 620 Monster riding-mate and a fair number of the possible UKMOC-ers who might be interested. So the cheque already written might have to be torn up.

And I reckon it would be much better from an aesthetic point of view to have Monsters v SSs.

At the risk of seeming argumentative, I think my question is still a valid one, then we would understand whether this would restrict the numbers or not, wouldn't it?

Phrase it any way you like, the question is still fundamentally the same. If the answers yes, then we include them, if its no, then we don't ?????

I also think from an aesthetic perpsective, just running the same type (Monsters or SSs) would be better.

Seems I'm testosterone charged and argumentative now.!!!

OK - Lizzie, to address your "better" question, I'm assuming that the reason that the costs are being kept down is for DSC members to buy (cheaply) a second (or third, fourth etc...) bike for racing and not necessarily to have to sell their main steed to fund a limited racing series. Is this a fair assumption? This bike could alos be used for road use, getting to work etc, but I don't see many selling their 748s, 851s, or the like for a Monnie - do you?

How many people will sell their Monster 620s to get a 600 if the series was restricted to 600s only - not many I'd bet. How many members on this board ride 600 monsters? How many ride 620s?

I'ts open to constructive debate, hence my questioning this.

Perhaps a more important question here is;

Is the objective here to give existing DSC members a race series, or increase DSC membership?

Tim