Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 05-May-2006, 18:00
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Clutch Spring torque? + wise words

I wouldnt question Chris Kelly about anything - one of his website has some superb tune up hints for various Ducatis:

http://www.ducatitech.com/info/tuneup.html

However, I'm wondering about the clutch spring torque he quotes of 8 lbs-ft. After fitting my new clutch, I couldn't properly 'feel' the torque wrench clicking at the very bottom end of its range. The collets are right up tp the posts and it all feels good at the 4-6 lbs I have indicated so far...extra advise anyone.

Also - why does the clutch pressure plate need lining up to correct clutch post? I cant see any difference while inspecting my new pressure plate.

LOL - Its been a good day in the garage though !!!

Cheers - Frank
Old 05-May-2006, 21:02
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
8lbs is about right for that size of bolt. I wouldn't be too worried if the threads were clean and undamaged.
Old 05-May-2006, 21:27

I use a "T" shaped allen wrench on mine and just tighten until snug plus a little extra torque - about a quarter turn - to be safe. Too much and you will quickly find out how soft the spring posts are. These will break off VERY easily. Use caution when putting torque to these.
Old 05-May-2006, 21:37
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
One word of advice, never use a torque wrench at the extremes of their range. You'll be much better off using Nick's method. There really is very little point trying to use a torque wrench on anything below a 10 mm bolt.
Old 05-May-2006, 22:15
WSB Hero

Yep - I figured my torque wrench would be off little use - but at least I have a decent feel now for most bolts.

Cheers guys - & thanks for checking in Nick D.

MPL clutch cover and pressure plate.
Stainless clutch springs and bolts
Titanium collets (gotta have some - somewhere !)
ST4S - clutch pack.

Ready to abuse
Old 06-May-2006, 06:33
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally posted by Iconic944ss
Also - why does the clutch pressure plate need lining up to correct clutch post? I cant see any difference while inspecting my new pressure plate.
Have a look on the back of the pressure plate,....see those teeth?They have to engage in the grooves on the inner clutch drum.Its very easy to fit the plate incorrectly,then find yourself with no clutch and no drive.
The standard plate has an arrow that points to the post with a slot cut into it.(see pic)
Most aftermarket plates have a dot punched into them,...some dont,but usually you can feel when the plate is properly engaged.
Old 06-May-2006, 12:19
WSB Hero

Thanks Keefy,

I thought there was more to it than that.

I must have fitted mine exactly 180° from the correct position as it was snug right up against the plates as it should be. However, time will tell.

Good knowledge BTW my new MPL plate does indeed have a punch mark next to the hole that goes over the slotted post.

Frank