Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 07-Jul-2004, 09:41

soggy clutch

Went for a ride last night and struggled to get home through the city as the travel on the clutch lever got worse and worse until it was back to the bars and having no effect on the clutch plates. The fluid has been changed and bled several times very recently and there are no obvious leaks.
I bled the clutch again when i got home and the pressure returned brielfy before the lever flapped about again, again no apparent leaks anywhere. I have yet to take of the slave cylinder and check it again for leaks - suggestions please any one. Also has any one an exploded diagram og the slave cylinder as i can't make out from the haynes manual what seals i need - my dealer said i only need one, which i bought just in case. Cheers guys,
Phill
Old 08-Jul-2004, 00:52
Mille

Mood: waiting til next summer ;)
Phill,

I cant help but what bike is it and what year might help a few of the guys. lmao
Old 08-Jul-2004, 13:09

opps sorry - 1991 900ss
Old 08-Jul-2004, 19:45
Montjuic

Mood: i'm hungry
any wet spots near the master cylinder? if not, then it's probably leaking at the slave, straight onto the chain, which is why you probably don't notice it

leaky clutch slaves are probably the most common problem with older ducs. most recommend buying an aftermarket unit, but they aren't cheap . . . .
Old 08-Jul-2004, 20:17
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
Check that the clutch lever has not been adjusted, preventing the piston in the master cylinder from fully returning.
Mine did this and all that it needed to put it right was to back off the screw in the lever that acts on the piston.
At least this is a dead cheap & easy one to check for starters before you get too technical!
Andy
Old 09-Jul-2004, 09:17

soggy clutch

removed the slave last night - everything dry so had a peer inside the master cylinder. The fluid had gone dark grey (in two weeks?) and seemed a bit low. I wondered that when i bled it last time the bike was on its side stand making the cylinder along way off horizontal, so when i topped it up i could only get a little fluid in before it ran over the top on the low side (towards the end of the bars). Well, i topped it up last night and bled it again with the bike on a paddock stand and on full right lock so the cylinder was level and it appears to be ok for the moment, pressure has returned and so far stayed. I guess that when the bike was cranked over on a left bend and i pulled the clutch in with all the fluid at one side of the cylinder, it drew in air - just a theory but i'll see how it goes befoe i shell out more cash on the B****y thing.
Old 12-Jul-2004, 18:57
Montjuic

Mood: i'm hungry
clutch fluid on a dry clutch ducati is always dirty-looking after a couple of days . . . . .

hope you've fixed the problem, Phil