Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 14-Mar-2012, 12:26
Mille

Brands from the backmarker

**Health warning: The following may send you to sleep quicker than watching me “race” . You might need a coffee…**

After reading a few other race reports, I thought I should add one from a back markers perspective. This might not be an interesting read for seasoned DDers, but a few people in UKMOC have been asking about the series so hopefully it will be useful for anyone thinking of taking up racing…

Bit of background on me
Been riding properly for about 4 years. I’ve done 4/5 trackdays prior to DD (can’t really count Oulton!)

Cadwell UKMOC track day on the S2R 1000 – Novice
Mallory UKMOC track day on the S2R 1000 – Novice
Lydden Hill on the S2R 1000 - Novice
Brands on the DD bike – Novice (horrible greasy track with rock hard suspension)
Oulton on the DD bike – Novice (monsoon conditions, and crashed after 15 mins)

I met some of the DD crowd at Castle Combe last year, and knew I wanted to get involved. I also came to watch the last round at Oulton, and at that point knew I had to have a go. I knew I wasn’t fast, brave, or mechanically minded, but thought if I don’t try it now, I might never. A little while later I had bought Bradders’ old bike and not long after that I was on the way to Brands for round 1 of 2012…

Friday Test Day – massive step up
Despite being a “novice friendly” series, most of these boys are fast!! After turning up, signing on, saying hello to the people in my garage, we got out on track. A few laps in, coming out of Graham Hill bends, someone comes past me, almost turned 180 degrees in the seat, one handed, and waves me to speed up, before shaking his head and riding off. Lesson learnt: get a f-ing move on! I spent the day trying my best to speed up, but have no reference points. I don’t have a lap timer (must buy one soon) and so have no idea how far off the pace I am. I didn’t pass a single bike all day, and despite the best efforts of Skidds, Paul and Chris P, Bradders, and even Awesome, I start to feel a bit unsure if I’m doing the right thing. I was having fun though! Practicing a race start in the lunch break was also fun, and another nice touch to help ease novices minds. Trudi was also great in this respect as she hand held me though some of the admin and answered my newbie questions.

After the test day there was a novice briefing at 5.30pm. This helped settle a few nerves and made me realise there were lots of new racers, across all classes, with most of them feeling just as nervous as I was about tomorrow. Thanks again to Tom and Skidds for helping bleed my rear brake later in the evening. Off home (I live 30 mins away from brands) to soak aching muscles and feel sorry for myself.

Saturday qualifying and race 1
Turned up at Brands and took 3 or 4 attempts to get through scruitineering. I needed to gaffer tape up some damage to the screen, my throttle was sticking open, and I didn’t put the rear caliper on properly after bleeding the brake the night before (resulting in a locked rear wheel, thanks to Kev for helping me sort it)! Not a great start, but I get signed off in time for qualifying about 10am.

Again, this was another massive step up! Chatting to Miles (#31) before we went out he said “we’re the slow ones, so I’ll be following you around”. I knew something was a little odd when he lapped me 10 minutes later! I managed a 1mn 8sec best, which although was last, was around the same as the slower guys last year. The only problem being that in 2011 three guys ran 1:08 in qualifying, while this year the next slowest was 1:05. I basically had no one to battle with. Turns out some of the novices had raced pit bikes, mini-motos and even higher levels (so I hear) in the past and so the orange bibs were not exactly a sign that you were slow, just that you didn’t have the required 10 races under your belt (as Chris Clarke went on to prove by smashing the class B record and scaring some of the class A guys!).

I now knew I was at least in line with last year’s slower riders so relaxed a little. The wait for the first race, after lunch, seemed to take forever. Nerves built as the time approached, but there was no turning back now. Everyone was telling me the race would be yet ANOTHER step up from the intensity of qualifying, but everyone I spoke to was supportive, offering tips and advice for the race (go fast and don’t fall off essentially). I revised my target from “don’t finish last” to “beat your qualifying time and don’t let EVERYONE lap you”.

Race 1 and we lined up on the grid. I was third to last, as Mark (shaggyboy) didn’t managed a full lap and #58 didn’t get out at all. My nerves were shot, adrenaline filled my veins, I could hear my pulse in my ears (until the lights went red and the revs rose). Lights out, clutch out, and we’re off! I got a reasonable start, and think I took a couple of places but it was all a blur, while #58 flashed past me. At least I still had Shaggyboy behind me after the first corner right?. The rest of the field disappeared, and I pushed (or felt like I was pushing) to keep Mark behind me. About 4 laps in the leaders started to come past me (yes, they were a good 13-15+ seconds a lap faster!). Coming out of Graham Hill bend I got a close pass on the right (I think it was Challis on 75?) which clipped my fairing. After a huge wobble, and soiled undies, I managed to just about tip into the left hander, but my confidence was shot. I was almost grimacing going into every corner expecting someone else to flash past me.

I have to say I was relieved it was all over when the red flag came out, only to approach Druids and see bikes and people everywhere. I quickly felt pangs of guilt at the relief of the race being stopped and worried about the downed riders ! I didn’t know what to do as I approached the scene (1st race, 1st red flag, 1st accident scene), but managed to crawl past on the edge of the track and get past. Bradders and Chris Clarke were ok in the end which was good news. Turns out I was in fact last on the track, as Mark only did 1 lap and my 1min 10sec best lap was slower than qualifying!!!. On the upside, I was only 1 lap behind due to the short race

I went home on Saturday with mixed feelings. I loved the buzz, loved the friendly paddock, loved the fact I was finally racing, but I felt a little out of my depth. I kept wondering if the clipped fairings was my fault? Was I a liability on the track? Were people trying to get past and cursing this stupid newbie who was trying to play with the big boys? I actually debated whether to go back on Sunday for races 2 & 3. Should I do more track days, and maybe some California Superbike school first then do a few more DD rounds later in the season?? I updated my blog with my wild ramblings and felt sorry for myself again…

Sunday practice, and race 2 & 3
As soon as I got into the garage on Sunday morning, Paul P gave me a clip round the head. “What was all that drivel you posted on the blog last night?”. That was me told!! He then gave me a b0ll0cking about even thinking of quitting. I also had some mates coming to watch today, including some guys from UKMOC, so I had to turn up at least. Warm-up was about 11am, which got my head back in the game, then it was just waiting for race 2 at about 2:30. My supporters turned up around lunch which added to the pressure, but at least I knew what to expect now.

Race 2 and I got away quickly and again kept Mark behind me. I was closer to the pack now, and piled into Druids with the other back markers. Barrelling down towards Graham Hill bend I felt great, then braked, upset the balance, and ran wide onto the grass!! I saw the couple of guys I had kept behind go past and off into the next bend before I managed to get off the grass and back on the black stuff. That was the last human contact I had for a few laps until people started to lap me again. I was lapped a couple of times, then (again after Graham Hill bend, where all my action seemed to happen!) Lawson came past me, slowed, put his hand up, and dropped back. I had no idea what was going on, and thought he must have a problem. I was distracted. I then saw the red flags and we were flagged into the pits. “What was that for? Someone crashed?” I asked. “End of the race” Lawson replied, probably a bit bemused by the question! I told him I didn’t even see a chequered flag, we laughed, and I didn’t think anything of it.

When the times came out I was 3 laps down, classified as DNF , but had done a 1:07.4 !! Bitter sweet. I asked in race control why I was DNF, and was told I was too far behind (having been lapped 3 times). The more I thought about it, the stranger it seemed. I was sure I was only 2 laps down, but the data didn’t lie. Only when I looked at the race time, it became clear: I crossed the line for my 12th lap in 13:50, Lawson took the chequered flag at 13:56 i.e. 6 seconds after my 12th lap. As I took the next few corners, unaware he had won the race, he had caught me. The apologetic hand-in-the-air was for overtaking me on a red flag, and when we were all herded into the pits I had not completed a chequered flag lap! Apparently this could have been rectified at race control if I had brought it up straight after the race but I didn’t realise what had happened. James Robinson had the same issue, but it was worse for him as he was a lap ahead of me so would have taken some points if he had completed the chequered flag lap.

Race 3 was the last race of the day. Lots of waiting around, but I had to finish to get a signature on my licence (only 1 signature per day apparently so the DNF technicality on race 2 wouldn’t matter if I could post a result in race 3). More of the same, except I stayed on the track this time. Passed Shaggyboy and kept him at bay for a lap or so after he took a detour at clearways, but he took the place back from me later and disappeared again. Spence came past me coming into clearways a few laps later, so I tried to follow his line, hoping to pick up some time. After he hit a neutral, and went for a lie down in the kitty litter, it took everything I had to NOT follow him! A couple of laps later Kiwi Coops did the same sort of thing… both crashes happening right in front of me! The race was stopped again shortly after, and my first race weekend was over. Phew!

I managed to pick up some points in race 1 & 3, so am not actually at the bottom of the Championship table as I write this!! I should point out though that if James Robinson hadn’t been unlucky with the DNF like I was in race 2 he would have picked up a few points and I would in fact have finished round 1 at the foot of the table.

To be honest, I don’t really care! I had a great weekend, and want to come back for more. I know it will take a lot of practice, time, effort, money etc before I can mix it with the pack but I will get there one day. I just need to get my ar$e off the seat, grow some balls and stop braking!! Easy eh?!?!

Thanks to everyone who had time to chat with me and offer advice and encouragement. Hope to see you all at Snetterton in a few weeks (if I can squeeze in a track day there to learn the circuit!)
Old 14-Mar-2012, 12:44
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: Ducati 1098R Bayliss Rep

Mood: Find people who share your values, and you'll conquer the world together.
Excelent write up steve, puts it into prospective from a totaly novice aspect, we were all there once and most likely had similar feelings to you, it was nice to see you get your head out your back side and get back out there on the sunday, well done m8, am sure you will soon be having a few battles further up the track as the season progresses.
Old 14-Mar-2012, 12:49
Mille
Bikes: DD class B, Street Triple, Tiger 1050

Hi Steve, great read, at least I now know to what to expect as a newbie to racing like yourself, couldn't make Brands so Snetterton will be first race. Don't think your account of Brands has done anything to ease the nerves though, 38 days and counting, see you there.
Old 14-Mar-2012, 12:57
500SD
Bikes: Honda CB350 K4, Ducati 749s

Dont ever do yourself down. You are doing a top job just being out there. The fast guys will avoid you, so dont worry about people shaking fists and heads at you. Great write up.
Old 14-Mar-2012, 13:09
500SD

Mood: ready to race
Nice report steve just keep at it , it will come in time like paul said we all started there at some time or another as long as your enjoying it just keep going ,was good to meet you the weekend and theres nothing wrong with your riding ,as every time i came accross you you on track you were fine not dangerous or in the way at all ,all you need to do is pick up speed and less bracking like you said , pratice makes perfect ,thats why im still trying
Old 14-Mar-2012, 13:14
Big Twin
Bikes: Monster 620ie, 916Bip, Suzuki Gs500 And a Ridgeback but I have to pedal that one

Mood: Scared!
Better report than mine,,,,,,,,, (sorry again)

awesome, I'm glad you enjoyed it, that's what it's all about. reading that reminded me so much of my first few races of 2009. scary, exciting, brilliant! it doesn't matter where you come if you've enjoyed it.

you've not had that much track time yet, It'll be interesting to see how much faster you are at the end of the season. this year will be a huge learning curve, that's for sure. 5 years ago I couldn't get my fireblade round brands that fast!

try following who is a bit faster than you in the practice and see when they get on the power and if they take different lines, try different things and see how they go, soon you'll be following even faster people and learning from them, nobody minds.

Matt
Old 14-Mar-2012, 13:19
500SD
Bikes: 803 rs race bike

Well done Steve a cracking write up we've all been there and I felt like I was there on your bike doing the riding. Keep going as you are it will get easier and you will look back on your first race day and smile.

Something to tell the gran kids when you are older, yes I raced motorbikes.

Paul #196
Old 14-Mar-2012, 13:24
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
great 1st write up Steve, and as others said, its the faster guys responsibility to pass you - and having nice lines makes it easier and safer for all...and ignore the head shaking and fist waving antics of some; you don't have mirrors

I was lapped twice 2 years ago by the front runner in A at Brands - its cool - tracktime is key to going faster IMHO right now. In fact I think I was lapped in every race that year.

A few of us are doing Snetteton 300 on Bank Holiday Monday 9th April with No Limts, come along if you like and the NL instructors are really good (and free!) at helping learn lines. If you want it sure we can help a little too, as a couple have been there before and know where the track goes on a 583 fairly well
Old 14-Mar-2012, 20:32
500SD

If you did 1.07 at Brands this year thats about what I did last year before getting 4th in Class at Oulton at the end of the year. Track time helps. Getting to know the bike helps. By now you already know everybody there will help too.

dont forget if you start at the back it can only get better!

Mark
Old 14-Mar-2012, 20:57
DSC Club Member
500SD
Bikes: Badger DD A #50, Multistrada 1200s, Aprilia Tuono 1100rr

Mood: More chilled than a polar bear's d**k
Don't knock yourself fella, you're out there doing instead of just talking about it. The back is a good place to be, ask anyone coz we've pretty much all been there and the only way is forward!
As has been said before, the transitions from road to track day, to test day, to qualifying and finally to racing are all big ones which you have done very quickly. That orange vest is a signal to others that you are new so stick to your lines and let others deal with getting round you, not you getting out of their way. Your times will drop and positions get higher I assure you with time and practice! (climbs down off soap box)
Was great to meet you and your lady, see you again at Snett.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, but the size of the fight in the dog.
Scott #50