Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 08-Nov-2005, 10:11
Mille

Front Wheel

Quick update from "Down Under" and a quick question for my knowledgeable UK folk.

Decided to get back into dirt bikes so had to decide whether to sell the ST2 or 996 to fund this change. Decided to go with the heart rather than the mind and sold the ST. My brother decided to buy it (so I could always use it if necessary :-)) and then proceeded to crash it 2 weeks later. He ran off the road to avoid an on coming car (his fault) and down into a gully. After getting a 4WD to retrieve it and tow it home, first inspections identified damage was limited to a crushed pipe (going over a log during the decent), cracked top fairing and missing two mirrors (lost to trees!). However on closer inspection it also appears the front wheel has been buckled. It is out by about 6mm over about a 1/4 of the circumference.

Questions are:
- any idea on whether this is repairable, and
- will wheels from other models (standard brembo 3 spoker) fit the ST?

Any input welcome (no mentioning the Ashes though OK!!!).

Cheers and I hope things aren't getting too cold over there.
Old 08-Nov-2005, 10:26

As long as there are no big "dinks" it should be repairable. As for matching wheels, pretty much every 748/916 up to 1999 have the same wheels as the st`s.

Oh and congratulations for winning the next ashes series...
Old 08-Nov-2005, 10:42
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
I think that front wheels are pretty much the same across the range and that as well as the 748/916 wheels that techmoto suggests Monster wheels and SS front wheels will also fit.

I think that the five spoke Marchesinis will fit as well if you can find any at a decent price on eBay

[Edited on 8-11-2005 by Jools]
Old 08-Nov-2005, 11:22
Big Twin

The brembos on the ST2 are known to be quite brittle. I had a small 'off' on one a few years ago and put a buckle in the front rim. It was repairable, but I was warned that it might crack.

[Edited on 8-11-2005 by HW]
Old 08-Nov-2005, 11:23
Mille

Thanks gents. Having just talked to my brother, he has found a guy (ex Aussie superbike champion) who repairs wheels and thinks it should be OK. About $100 for the repair compared to $1500 for a new one.