Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 14-Jan-2009, 21:21
Mille
Bikes: Ducati 999 / Kawasaki Z1000

Help with the wiring on my 600ss race conversion

Can anyone help with a slight electrical problem ive got. While converting a 600 ss for racing in next years dd championship as the third rider of code zero racing, ive come to the part where i want to lose the ignition barrell. So ive taken the barrell off and exposed 6 wires. 1 x red, 1 x green/black, 1 x grey, 1x yellow, 1 x blue and 1 x white/red.

I have a 3 pronged 16amp switch which has a power (+) symbol above one prong, a light symbol above the middle prong and a earth symbol above third prong.

Ive done my own bit of digging and think the red and green/black wire are the ones i need to start the bike. But do any of the other 4 wires need to be connected to anything or can they be taken out?

In the process of playing with the wires ive cooked my optimizer which was attached to the battery and am hoping thats the only damage ive caused.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Old 14-Jan-2009, 21:46
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Red is defo one you have to keep along with the green/black as these are the main ignition wires you can junk the others

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 14-Jan-2009, 21:48
Mille

Brilliant thanks for your help
Old 14-Jan-2009, 21:50
MotoGP God

With regard to the switch I wouldn't run a earth to it as that would only be required if the switch needed to be illuminated when ON.
I suspect the Red will go to the +ve marked connector and the Green/Black to the middle prong.
But without seeing the switch Im guessing

Old 14-Jan-2009, 22:05
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 916 Strada

Mood: www.od2racing.co.uk
Still on 583 wiring. How do you wire an electronic rev counter? as mine has a mechanical one.
Old 14-Jan-2009, 22:09
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz
Still on 583 wiring. How do you wire an electronic rev counter? as mine has a mechanical one.

Depends what type it is Chaz, scitsus (Red backed)are the easiest as they are stand alone, rechargeable units that have the pick-up that wraps around the plug leads.
The DP one should come with a harness that plugs in-line with the 3-pin connector on either of the igniter boxes, this is also the best way to connect an Eliot Tacho
The stack will happily plug into the same 3-pin connector but can also take its signal from the pulse from the pick up coil via the 2-pin connector on an igniter

Old 16-Jan-2009, 02:05
Mille

Ive connect the wires to the switch and the bike turns over fine, but there is a strange humming/clicking noise coming from a grey box in the front loom some kind of resistor or transformer. Is this normal? or am i causing some damage by runnning the bike while this part is making this noise?

It doesnt seem to be getting hot, smoking or smelling. Just makes a strange noise.
Old 16-Jan-2009, 13:44
MotoGP God

How big is the gray box, is it the ignition relay (usually Yellow in colour) with 1/4" spade connectors sticking out of it.
If it is then it shouldn't be buzzing/clicking. On the race bikes I usually do away with it as they have caused problems at the track before now.

and I take it your not refereing to the alloy block close to the bottom yoke which is the Reg/rec

Old 16-Jan-2009, 15:53
Mille

I think its the ignition relay. On looking at the fuses ive found a 15 amp fuse has blown as you look at the main fuse box its the 3rd one from the bottom, underneatht eh "stop + horn" 7.5amp fuse. I replaced it with a new one and switched the bike power on, the fuse blew instantly and the relays still buzzing? Any ideas on my next move? I can take photos if it helps. Thanks
Old 16-Jan-2009, 16:46
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
Sounds like an old-style reg/rec, possibly with a dodgy earth?

If you leave the ignition on long enough it will probably catch fire, so if you're watching you'll see where the problem is!

Check that you haven't missed the loom to frame earth up on the righthand side of the airbox, the engine to frame wire at the rear of the block and that the black wire coming out of the alloy/grey box just behind the bottom yoke (that's the regulator/rectifier) is making a good earth.

If they are all ok, unplug the two connectors going into the the reg/rec (2 or 3 yellow wires input from generator + a double red and black output to battery/fusebox) and turn the ignition on and see what happens. Just don't start the bike without the red and black wires connected or you will fry the reg/rec for sure.

Good luck

Paul

15th year in DD #68 and getting slower by the year

1199, SS800 & 620SSie DD racer