Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 13-Feb-2006, 23:59
Big Twin

Mood: Hmmm Conference season
OMG.....lol
Follow the wire up from the starter motor, It will end at the solenoid,......
glyn
Old 14-Feb-2006, 00:15
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Its mounted under the battery box and I have known them to touch the rear cylinder head, which will drag the volts down, I always turn the mounting bracket around (well since I was stranded on the Oxford Ringroad a few years ago) so that the solinoid sits futher away from the cylinder head.
Old 14-Feb-2006, 12:19
888 at Last !!!

Mood: Hopefull
To think I nearly bought this bike

Hope you get it sorted soon mate.

Mike
Old 14-Feb-2006, 12:43
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: What a wonderful world.
Quote:
Message original : multi600
To think I nearly bought this bike
Hope you get it sorted soon mate.

The bike was running fine when I bought it, I think its biggest problem is me

But I'm quite happy, I learn a lot of things about it, and I love that.

Anyway I think the solenoid is the cause of my problems. It doesn't relay the power to the starter motor. Tonight I'll try it on my road bike.

Thanks very much for your help guys, I'm sure I should be able to hear the sound of my 2 into 1 in the days or weeks coming...
Old 15-Feb-2006, 20:40
Ducati in my Blood

UPDATE:

I was at the point I thought the problem was due to a faulty starter solenoid on the race bike.

So here is what I did:

1 - checked if the starter solenoid of my road bike works. No problem there, the bike doesn't start cause no petrol in the tank but the starter motor is running fine.
2 - took off the "supposed faulty" starter solenoid from my race bike and tested it on the road bike. Nothing works... cool I thought my problem was sorted out.
3 - took off the starter solenoid of my road bike, fit it on the race bike... nothing works.....
4 - try to fit it again to the road bike, now doesn't work too

Then I thought, I've killed my second relay... Then I checked if that relay was really dead by giving it power and checking the resistance (dunno in English?????) and it gave me 0.3 Ohm which means the relay's still working.....

HELP

[Edité le 15-2-2006 par Tonio600]
Old 15-Feb-2006, 23:59
Big Twin

My heart go`s out to you mate, your a propper tryer.
Have you checked the connections on the solenoid where 12v is supplied by the button ??
Make sure you havent just poped a fuse whilst messing with your other bikes wiring.
I think you must be at the route of your problem or very near.
glyn
Old 16-Feb-2006, 00:35
Ducati in my Blood

Cheers mate... Yes connection on the solenoid where 12v is supplied by the button are fine... When the relay is powered I can hear and feel it moving...

SAINT DUCATI PLEASE HELP ME
Old 16-Feb-2006, 16:29
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by Tonio600
Cheers mate... Yes connection on the solenoid where 12v is supplied by the button are fine... When the relay is powered I can hear and feel it moving...

SAINT DUCATI PLEASE HELP ME
Physicaly check that you have 12 volts when the button os pressed at the starter, If you dont have a multi meter a test lamp will do, I had one in the past that made all the right noises but didnt allow 12v across the big terminals.
Gash but if you stick a screwdriver over the 2 large terminals does the bike spin over??
Glyn
Old 16-Feb-2006, 16:35
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Alan says 'Does the mad french man want to pop over for dinner tomorrow - and bring his motorbike with him?'

We'll have room the the garage to take a look, as both race bikes will be loaded, but sorry, cant get over to you till Tues otherwise

C
Old 16-Feb-2006, 18:15
Ducati in my Blood

Quote:
Message original : Scooter916
Physicaly check that you have 12 volts when the button os pressed at the starter, If you dont have a multi meter a test lamp will do, I had one in the past that made all the right noises but didnt allow 12v across the big terminals.

I checked with my multi meter that the button well sends 12V to the relay, that is ok.

I checked that the first terminal (the one directly connected to the battery) receives 12V as well, that's fine.

Then I checked that my relay was working fine with my ohm meter, when powered its resistance become 0 Ohm, so that's fine.

When I put my multi meter (in 20V mode) on the second terminal (the one connected to the starter engine) and then press the start button, I can see 12V for a very short time and then back to 0.

Quote:
Message original : Scooter916
Gash but if you stick a screwdriver over the 2 large terminals does the bike spin over??
Glyn

I didn't dare to do that but I think I will have to do it... Cheers for your help mate.