Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 03-Jun-2005, 00:01
Big Twin

I had a gsxr 6 before my 916/996 and have to say the duke is so stable it's like its on rails.

I run showa front forks with ohlins on the rear I have gone one click softer than standard on the front, and one off on the compresion on the rear.

Rear tyre is down sized to a 180 to get rid of the understeer.

You do have to put a bit more effort into the bars but the results are well worth it
Old 03-Jun-2005, 11:35
Mille

Mood: Mildly reckless...
Cheers AGE

At the moment I am putting in so much effort that I'm in danger of messing my leathers...

Weeksy, thanks for the advice - is it too obvious that I know nothing about the dark art of suspension
Old 03-Jun-2005, 14:49
Big Twin

Interesting thread. Sounds like your front end is miles out; hope you get it sorted. Ducatis are criticised for a lot of things, but bad handling isn't one of them!

But no mention of this on another thread where you're talking about hammering a 748R round the Nurmbergring (sp?).

Is this the same bike?
Old 03-Jun-2005, 15:23
Mille

Not me I'm afraid, or at least I don't remember typing it...

Have never really felt comfortable with the front end so if this sorts it (fingers crossed) I really will be a happy bunny!

Have just come back from the 'ring but was so unhappy with the handling (and the coaches and double deckers) that I didn't bother going on.

Planning another trip (hopefully) in September time so if I get it sorted I'll try my luck then!
Old 03-Jun-2005, 17:23
Big Twin

Just done Nurburg on my 748R and the only thing that caused problems was the tank bag pushing me into the wind blast, limiting me to about 120. My knees go a bit stiff on long runs but other than that the Duke is as comfy as anything else I've ridden. About 1,100 miles in all, from home there, and back.

Just has a full service at Riverside Ducati in Northampton (they have been mentioned somewhere in an earlier thread) which was about £450 I think, so not too bad considering.

Don't be put of by fears of it being difficult to ride or too powerful - this can be said for any bike if ridden with a quick wrist!

The only thing I need to do now is learn to ride the tw@t!

[Edited on 1-6-2005 by L3OONY]

So those speeds weren't on a "private road" at all, then?!

[Edited on 3-6-2005 by moto748]
Old 04-Jun-2005, 09:45
Mille

Oh yes, now I remember...

Old 04-Jun-2005, 18:46
Mille

Right, latest update: -

Firstlly have found that the top of my struts look different to any other photo I've seen as the inner section remains flush with the outer section regardless of setting.

If we assume that there are 16 turns from hard to soft, the left strut was approx 11 off hard and the right 15.

To get the sag to 30mm I have gone to 5 off hard.

Also confused about the strut height through the stock.
I am sure that I've read that it should be FOUR rings when viewed from the inside of the strut, however mine are at THREE.

Is anyone out there using Ohlins, and if so what are yours set at?

Will check the rear ride height tomorrow (thanks Mike) and see where that is.

Ta

[Edited on 4-6-2005 by L3OONY]
Old 04-Jun-2005, 19:14
Mille

Right, as I don't appear to be able to post any pictures I'm going to have to describe it.

The cente of the strut has a blue cap in it, totally different to the photo I showed previously (the photo was from a suspension set up site).

The blue cap incorporates a nut and in the cente of the nut small (3mm ?) allen key head that operates on a ratchet.

On the outer of the strut top, almost like an aluminiun ring (surrounding the blue cap) is a silver cap with a number of holes drilled in it. It has a mark at 12 o'clock and then arrows indicating Soft to the left and hard to the right.

No matter how much I turn these nuts the cap remains flush.

Is this making any sense?

[Edited on 4-6-2005 by L3OONY]
Old 04-Jun-2005, 20:45
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Thats because the ohlins forks have a threaded internal preload adjuster, the nut on top engages with it, turning the nut clockwise screws the preload adjuster downwards inside the fork and vice-versa

http://www.ohlins.com/pdf/07282-04.pdf shows the two different set ups that Ohlins use
Old 04-Jun-2005, 21:08
Mille

Phew! There was me beginning to think that I'd got moody forks!

Even went on the Ohlins site but my PC at home takes sooooo long I lost the will to live and went to watch Dr. Who!

Thanks a million (again!), I'll have a read of this and see what I can do with it.

:P