Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 15-Jan-2009, 21:55
500SD

Mood: ready to race
Ive got a good idea when we get to the meeting we all chuck our race numbers in a hat then in turn pick one out and wot ever number you get is wot bike you race we do this every time then we see who is who is it the rider or is it the bike
Old 15-Jan-2009, 22:04
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
Is that like the key ring game at partys........... or is that a totally different story
Old 15-Jan-2009, 22:06
Mille

I dunno but Senna seems quite familiar with that game ! Lol...
Old 15-Jan-2009, 22:08
500SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogaromill998
I dunno but Senna seems quite familiar with that game ! Lol...

shhhh dont tell the wife she thinks im out training
Old 15-Jan-2009, 22:18
Mille

One word.

....Perspective

.....F1 teams employ top engineering consultants who go through the latest FIA rule changes to see what they can get away with.....

....then they employ lawyers to confirm that the engineers are right...or wrong.

Any rule book will be "exploited" to the enth degree IF the financial rewards are worth it.

Crankshaft balancing in DesmoDue...Class A or Class B is, as I said before, a NON ISSUE.
Old 15-Jan-2009, 22:21
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogaromill998
Are you suggesting I am being dishonest Kev? Cheating in other words? Only needs a yes/no answer...

A, was the crank asembley was balanced by matching components

B, Was the crank machined in anyway to acheive balance in which case it will have been modified from how it was supplied from the Ducati Factory

If its answer A then no rules have been broken
If its answer B then under the rules that have been in place for 5 years a rule has been broken, and breaking rules for a race series as far as I know is cheating, even if no advantage is gained.

Some rules are there to reduce costs, some for safety and some to keep things simple.

I don't think you are being dishonest or trying to gain an advantage as you certainly weren't trying to hide the fact that you have had some balancing work done.
But just because you interpret the rule your way doesn't mean others do and could leave you open to protest.

To argue maching is not modifying is a poor defence but if allowed opens the flood gates along the lines I mentioned earlier this evening.

When you sign up to the series you agree to abide by the rules, if your not happy with the rules you can submit a proposal for change to the RC, I have lost count of the amount I have submitted over the years.

If nothing had been mentioned then nobody would be any the wiser and the chance of getting protested on a modified crank very slim, especially as it looks like there may be a few more out there.

As with Senna3 he had his engine rebuilt at Baines Racing last year as it never seemed to go as well after his crash at Mallory in 2007 and dispite having new pistons and rings he did not have the crankshaft balanced as that would have required modifying it to how it left the factory which would have broken the rules. Now if Balancing is going to be allowed then I feel he and others in the same boat as him are going to loose out for their honesty.

A couple of years back Minitwins rules required the running of a standard airbox and even though a DD bike with a open airbox was never going to get near the 72bhp limit, my request to the Minitwin organisers (Tim Jones and Mike Edwards) to be able to run a open airbox was turned down, even though it gave me no advantage over a 72bhp SV650. So I abided by the rules and rode with a standard airbox, at least nobody could protest me for cheating, which is what they told meit would be viewed as.

Not the one word answer you were asking for, maybe an RC member will answer that one for you

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 15-Jan-2009, 22:26
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelly
It's always been there though Kev.

And even to this day I hear rumours about the Taymar bikes back in the LC days.

what was so good about the R6 cup was all bikes were equal it was down to the rider to get the results not the team with the biggest budget or best engine tuner.

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 15-Jan-2009, 22:26
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
A, was the crank asembley was balanced by matching components

B, Was the crank machined in anyway to acheive balance in which case it will have been modified from how it was supplied from the Ducati Factory

If its answer A then no rules have been broken
If its answer B then under the rules that have been in place for 5 years a rule has been broken, and breaking rules for a race series as far as I know is cheating, even if no advantage is gained.

Some rules are there to reduce costs, some for safety and some to keep things simple.

I don't think you are being dishonest or trying to gain an advantage as you certainly weren't trying to hide the fact that you have had some balancing work done.
But just because you interpret the rule your way doesn't mean others do and could leave you open to protest.

To argue maching is not modifying is a poor defence but if allowed opens the flood gates along the lines I mentioned earlier this evening.

When you sign up to the series you agree to abide by the rules, if your not happy with the rules you can submit a proposal for change to the RC, I have lost count of the amount I have submitted over the years.

If nothing had been mentioned then nobody would be any the wiser and the chance of getting protested on a modified crank very slim, especially as it looks like there may be a few more out there.

As with Senna3 he had his engine rebuilt at Baines Racing last year as it never seemed to go as well after his crash at Mallory in 2007 and dispite having new pistons and rings he did not have the crankshaft balanced as that would have required modifying it to how it left the factory which would have broken the rules. Now if Balancing is going to be allowed then I feel he and others in the same boat as him are going to loose out for their honesty.

A couple of years back Minitwins rules required the running of a standard airbox and even though a DD bike with a open airbox was never going to get near the 72bhp limit, my request to the Minitwin organisers (Tim Jones and Mike Edwards) to be able to run a open airbox was turned down, even though it gave me no advantage over a 72bhp SV650. So I abided by the rules and rode with a standard airbox, at least nobody could protest me for cheating, which is what they told meit would be viewed as.

Not the one word answer you were asking for, maybe an RC member will answer that one for you

I think you gave a 6 word answer - if A NO, if B YES

does seem simple to me
Old 15-Jan-2009, 22:43
500SD

weights

i recon miss riot weighs about 7 stone so she should have to wear a five stone lead belt to equal my weight as for dom he will have to cut one of his legs off
Old 15-Jan-2009, 22:49
DSC Club Rep
Big Twin
Bikes: 848

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids

There's no denying that bike goes like f*** since the work was done though. So presumably there's a lot of performance to be gained from having the engine apart and blue-printing, its not just about reliability.