Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 06-Dec-2006, 21:48

916 Noisy starting probs

Hi All,

hope someone can help me with this, I have a 1997 916, for some time ive had some starting problems, ie clicking to start with which I sorted (poor connections) Now im getting something worse, Im thinking its got to do with the dreaded sprag clutch, and something more, I will try best to describe what is happening

On a cold day or after a long period of standing the starter will intermitantly just spin without engageing, sometimes after engageing, the bike will spin over but not fire a clanking noise will appear as if the starter was missengaging, it sounds awful, once this happens i stop trying to start it , give it a second or two then try again, after 3,4,5,6,7, attempts it will finally engage enough to fire up the bike, once its warmed up its not as difficult to start again, but it is getting gradually worse (and more embarrasing) your thoughts would really be appreciated

PS ive searched the boards already, found simular, but not the same as im experiencing

Thanks
Old 06-Dec-2006, 22:41
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: 900,900,851,750,750,750, 600,600,450,350,350,250
You've definitely got a problem with the starter sprag clutch.
If it chatters the eccentric rollers damage their bearing surface, and get worse. Always.
I had 2 go on my first 916 before I found out the fault was the battery terminal connections causing too bad a connection to reliably drive the starter, which makes it turn slowly and off you go into chatter land.
If its spinning up without engaging it means that the eccentric rollers are getting stuck and not clutching their bearing surface.
Either way means a strip of the left side to remove the alternator and see what condition the starter clutch is in hidden behind the alternator (and if thats on the cards, it means the other nasty, the altenator nut gets checked at the same time anyway )
Old 06-Dec-2006, 22:42
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: 900,900,851,750,750,750, 600,600,450,350,350,250
Welcome to the board by the way, and thank you for asking, but I won't have one just now, I'm being good to my liver before my works xmas bash on friday
Old 06-Dec-2006, 23:18

Thanks Phil, your will power is stronger than mine, im out on the booze thurs, friday and Sat, and thats before the works bash, thanks again for your help, if you ever find yourself up Shrewsbury way, drop me a pm, i,ll gladly get you that beer!!!

Only found this board tonight, thats after owning ducatis past 10 years, i will now be a regular visitor, excellent website and board !!!