Datatool Rev Light

How easy are these to fit?
Old 01-Aug-2003, 10:09
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Dunno, but I've just bought one off ebay for £30 + £4 p&p (see my post in the Market Place).

From what I've read, you wire it up to a voltage feed (two wires) and the tacho feed (1 wire) and you may have to wire it to a headlight feed (1 wire) too so that it detects when your lights are on and dims the LEDs, so only 4 wires in total.

Once you've done that, you then need to "program" the unit for your particular settings - min and max revs on the bike. I read an article where the instructions say you need to touch a control wire to an earth point to program the unit, but the writer wired it up to a switch instead to make it easier. Sounds like a good idea.

The only problem is mounting it, but I'm thinking it should sit on top of the idiot lights pod quite nicely, or maybe around the outside of the speedo? You could always buy a CF clock surround and mount it in that for the ultimate trick look...

When mine arrives, I might take some pics and write up a short guide for the website or Pronto.
Old 01-Aug-2003, 10:53
Big Twin

at the moment i have mine mounted around the speedo, I'm looking at getting a dash cover and mounting it in that along with the gear indicator.

Fitting one is easy, programming can be a right bugger though, if you mess up programming the 4000RPM point its nigh-on impossible to set it again!
Old 01-Aug-2003, 21:44
Bevel Head

Mood: happy as a pig in sh|t
you also might find that it will peel off if its wrapped around the radius of the speedo. mine did and i had to superglue it on, also just goes off for small amounts of time sometimes, checked all the soldered connections and they are all ok.
ah well
when its working it is a great little gadget,
stew

[Edited on 1-8-2003 by stewmcc]

[Edited on 1-8-2003 by stewmcc]
Old 04-Aug-2003, 11:24
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Fitted mine this weekend, and it wasn't too bad.

I read a little tip on a website somewhere that you should fit a little push-button (push to make, not a toggle switch) to the blue "program" wire rather than keep touching it to an earth point. This makes sense as once you've programmed the unit, you can change modes with the switch (ie, on the fly!) rather than keep touching the wire to earth.

Once the switch was on, I connected the program (blue) and earth (green) together as this is what you need to do.

I then found that the three wires on a plug going into the back of the tacho are the three feeds (+ive, earth, sense) that you need, so I popped the plug, removed the metal connectors from the plug, soldered the RevLight wires onto the metal connectors and popped them back in! Easy!

The RevLight is mounted at an angle across the top of the speedo and the light cluster at about 30-40 degrees. I've hot-glued it in place at the two points and feels really solid. The button is mounted on the top, making it easy to switch modes and program.

Pics to follow!