Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 12-Jun-2005, 01:22
Montjuic

Mood: Saving
Thinking of buying a 749s thoughts please

Hi, i'm thinkng of buying a 749s and would like some owners opinions please ,i used to own a gsxr1000 but want something that is more rewarding to ride.Thanks for replies in advance.
Old 12-Jun-2005, 09:23
Montjuic

I got a 749S brand new in march 04 and wasnt impressed immediately as it seemed to be heavy and slow steering. After picking up some excellent suspension advice on this site it now handles brilliantly and I love the bike.
My only gripe with the whole Ducati thing (after 20 years of Jap bikes) is the amount of money Ive lost on it since new (3K in 12 months !) and the cost of servicing (£60 for the first service at 600 miles and £330 for the second service at 12 months old (2000 miles .)) If I keep the bike until next March 06 I'll be looking at the 24 month major service which will hit me for about £700 yet the bike will only have about 4000 miles on the clock!!! As Ive been told before - you never actually own a Ducati - you just hire it from them.
Old 12-Jun-2005, 10:45
Ducati Corse

I think it was 'Snap-on-Tools' who coined the phrase: The quality is remembered long after the cost is forgotten I recon on total running costs of about £1 per mile for my Ducatis and in terms of thrills per pound I feel that's great value for money
Old 12-Jun-2005, 10:55
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Well, you're going to think it's dog slow coming from a Gixer Thou. There is no way that a 749 twin is going to be anywhere near as fast in a straight line as a 1000 cc in-line four. The thing is that twins also deliver their speed in a deceptive way, somehow they don't feel fast until you look at the speedo and realise that you're flying. When you combine the deceptive pace that makes twins feel slower than you're actually going with the actual fact that it will be slower than a Gixer Thou and it might feel a bit tame.

Nothing wrong with the 749 on the road though, they'll outhandle almost everything once set up right (as will a 999) and they've got more than enough power for the road where, let's face it, you need to be a rider with superhuman talent (or conversely, one with far less talent but no brain causing you to ride like a complet nutter) to use more than a 749 can give you on the road. If you mainly ride trackdays, again you might want to look at a 999 for a bit more poke after the Gixer.

I would take a bit of issue with posiden about the cost of ownership, because without any disrespect he would get more value out of the bike if it was ridden a bit more. Ducati service intervals are 600 miles for the first 'oil change' service then there is one at 12 months or 6000 miles (whichever comes first) then 24 months or 12,000 miles (whichever comes first) so it's time as well as mileage related. Sorry, posiden old chap, but if you'd ridden it a bit more you could've done three times the mileage you've actually done between each service interval and got a bit more bang for your buck, and a bit more fun out of the cost of depreciation as well. If you think about it, most Japanese bikes service intervals are around 4000 miles now, so if you ride it for 6000 miles a year you'll only need two services to the jap bikes three - sort of levels the playing field a bit.
Old 12-Jun-2005, 12:09
Ducati Corse

Good points Jools - a mate has a ZX9R which costs him £950 in total service bills per 12,000 miles. (2x250+1x450). My 998 costs £900 (1x300+1x600).
Old 12-Jun-2005, 13:13
Mille

I don't think you'll have too many people advising against buying a Ducati on this website. I have had a succession of japanese 600s and always liked the fact that they are pretty much maintenance free. For me, thats important because I have similar mechanical skills to those of an amoeba!

I bought an '05 749s in April and have to say its a heap of fun. Without doubt, its heavier and requires a little more effort to initiate the turn but once its leant over, its on rails. For me, its got more charisma than any other bike on the road except (maybe) the 916 (lets not go there!). Oh and be prepared to be ogled as you ride along the high street.

I've read posts from several 749 owners with various problems and some may be along soon. Most of these problems may have been developed out of the bike in this model year and my bike certainly hasn't missed a beat. I love it.

[Edited on 12-6-2005 by Michael J]
Old 12-Jun-2005, 13:31
Mille

Mood: not a happy bunny
the best thing you can do is get down to your nearest ducati dealer and book up a test ride on one, then you will know if you are going to buy one or not.
Old 12-Jun-2005, 16:04
500SD

Mood: 2 for 1 mmm :)
ive got an 03 749s and i absolutely love it, ive had a few niggles with it but all have been fixed promptly by Ducati Glasgow. Take a look at any other 600 from behind then look at the 749, its so much more compact, u feel like your a part of it, not riding on top of it like you do with all the other bulky 600's.

Plus the grin Factor is worth every penny in my opinion.

you going to feel a big difference in power, but thats obvious and you have to expect this. But the 749 will totally outhandle any other bike out there when properly set up. Thats what its all about in the end.

/ian