Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 10-Dec-2005, 01:55
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally posted by RCA
According to the termi website the 57mm, 60mm & 63.5mm exhaust kits are only available for the 998S, and not for the standard 998?

probably is the case as getting the 50mm 998S system to fit my 998BP system meant I had to distort it a bit as it was designed for a engine with the deep sump
Old 10-Dec-2005, 03:47
500SD

Mood: 2 for 1 mmm :)
Quote:
Originally posted by greenmachine
Hi all, back to the age-old exhaust debate again...

I'm considering a very lovely 996bip with a 45mm system and termis...

...only thing is i've seen an odd one with full 50mm system and i wonder - honestly - what is the difference purely from a sound and throttle response/power point of view?

Am i as well with the standard bike c/w 45mm or should i buy a 50mm system just for the sound effects... or am i just talking ****e!!!?

Let the debate commence.....

My wife tells me 5 Mill makes the difference !

/ian
Old 10-Dec-2005, 10:16
GTL

Just to settle a friendly (!) argument, were any 748Rs ever fitted with 45mm systems? To my knowledge they all came with 50mm systems with 50mm standard and Termi cans.
Old 12-Dec-2005, 15:57
500SD

Some 748e models (and my 748s) came with exhausts that could not be converted to 50mm without changing the headers.
Old 12-Dec-2005, 16:11
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

As a general rule-of-thumb, changing to a larger diameter exhaust allows the escaping exhaust gases to expand more quickly which cools the gases faster, and consequently reduces the velocity of the exhaust gases, and also the timing of the exhaust pressure wave pulses.

These pressure waves are generated when the exhaust valves open. The exhaust gases flow at around 300 fps, but the pressure waves travel much faster - at the speed of sound (that is dependent on gas temperature and therefore on pipe diameter.)

The general idea is to use this pulse energy for tuning. You want to time the negative wave pulse reflections to coincide with the period of valve overlap. This allows the low pressure to help to pull-in a fresh intake charge as the intake valve is opening, and help to remove the residual exhaust gases before the exhaust valve closes. The effectiveness of this scavenging effect changes, depending upon engine rpm.

Too small a pipe diameter gives too high an exhaust gas velocity meaning that that the system is too restrictive (which reduces top end power), whereas too low an exit velocity tends to make the power curve excessively peaky by reducing low end torque.*On the track, high end power is more important. On the street, low end torque is more useful.

So, the best exhaust system is the one that gives the most useful power curve. So, YOU need to be the judge of what compromises you’re willing to accept, and then build the engine-exhaust combination that will give it to you.

So simply put ...

1. A large diameter full exhaust system, at best, will not help a stock engine make more power. Usable performance will suffer.

2. Adding a large diameter full exhaust system, WILL help a modified engine (i.e. larger displacement, larger intake and exhaust valves, flowed heads, higher compression pistons, etc.) make more power.

In other words, build a balanced system. Starting with an set of overly-large exhaust pipes probably isn’t the way.
Old 12-Dec-2005, 16:21
500SD

Mood: Warmed up and ready to go
Shazaamed again!! Are you related to the Stig mate???
Old 12-Dec-2005, 16:24
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Ey up... The Hi-Karate Kid is back in town

Shouldn't you be messing with Big Ben
Old 12-Dec-2005, 16:41
500SD

Mood: Warmed up and ready to go
Quote:
Originally posted by JPM
Ey up... The Hi-Karate Kid is back in town

Shouldn't you be messing with Big Ben

Big Ben says Im no good enough for him. He "doesnt like Hi Karate" were his words