Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 21-Jul-2005, 12:52
500SD
Bikes: 848 EVO & Multi 1000ds

Mood: When's the sun coming out
rev counter needle jumping

Noticed yesterday that the rev counter needle does a little flicker/jump every now and then, had the eprom chip replaced yesterday and fuel reset to match, could it be down to this or something else that i never noticed before.

It flicks (jumps a few revs)when on a neutral throttle or just coasting
Old 21-Jul-2005, 12:55
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Sounds like a loose connection, check the battery terminals first off, had this on my 996 jumping everywhere, just needed to clean the contacts and never had it again, could be rectifier also, does the engine run "lumpy" when it happens?
Old 21-Jul-2005, 13:03
Big Twin

Yep...first signs of my reg (actually the wiring and connector block) going was the needle jumping around and then the engine going lumpy, until it evetually wouldn't run.

Check the connector block where two yellow wires go into it, behing the battery tray. Disconnect the connector and take a look inside...is it looking a little corroded or going black???!

[Edited on 21-7-2005 by Harv748]
Old 21-Jul-2005, 13:06
500SD
Bikes: 848 EVO & Multi 1000ds

Mood: When's the sun coming out
engine runs fine when it jumps.
mind it did do something odd on the way to work this morning. coming out of a slow corner 3,000 revs opened the throttle and the whole bike shuddered for a few seconds then went back to normal. felt a bit like a miss fire but more violent.
Old 21-Jul-2005, 13:06
Big Twin

Check that connector block...
Old 21-Jul-2005, 13:22
Mille

Mood: :-0
mine has done it since new - when I mentioned it to baines - they just ignored it

what exactly do I check?
Old 21-Jul-2005, 13:51
Big Twin

Well if yours has done it since new and the bike is still going strong then its probably not the reg/rec giving up...and probably is a loose connection somewhere.

however, for peace of mind, remove the right hand fairing, and get down low and take a peek behind the battery tray..there will be a connecting block with 4 or 5 wires going into it. The main one of concern is the connection for the 2 yellow wires. Split the connecting block and take a look at the condition of the block and the connecting spade ends within it. They should appear clean, dry and in good nick...not black, wet or melted!
Old 21-Jul-2005, 14:10
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Mine did that, got worse and worse until the rev counter just died...so it could simply be that your rev counter is knackered in which case they come up quite regularly on eBay.

I think I paid about £30 for one from a 996 and they're all interchangeable between all injection models except (I think) the SS and obviously the newer bikes with CAN wiring
Old 21-Jul-2005, 15:22
Mille

Mood: :-0
ok - will check...

getting ready for the gp.

off up there tomorrow morning
Old 21-Jul-2005, 16:27
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

It's not the stator-regulator connector. Electronic tachometers give erratic readings when the base voltage is low, usually caused by a loose connection.

Most likely - Intermittent power or earth connection
Next likely - Intermittent RPM signal connection
Least likely - Tachometer internal problems

Check for a loose or corroded electrical connection at the battery, the fuse, and any in-line connector. Check the two battery connections first, next the connector at the instrument cluster, then at the fuse, and lastly at the wiring harness connections.

Next, since the bike is running OK, the RPM sensor gap, the sensor itself, and wiring back to the computer are not the problem. So you need to check the connectors between the computer and the tach.

(If the engine cuts for a split second and then it returns to normal while the tach reading drops, the RPM sensor gap is probably out of adjustment.)

Try to borrow a tach to verify that it’s actually the problem, before buying a replacement.