Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 06-Jul-2005, 20:27
Montjuic

noob 748R Q\'s

Guys, excuse the beginner questions but after a few miles on the 748R I feel I must ask thee:

1. I have an STM slipper clutch, newish, and it is impossible to pull away with any degree of finesse and a quick or hill start is radically embarrassing Mega snatchy, slip and grab even at slow speed on the flat. I assume from reading that this is normal but thought I'd check with the experts.

2. It's impossible to go slow (as if I'd want to) but seriously, 30 mph is a challenge and below that is a skill I have yet to develop (makes for a heroic display in town traffic, and a noisy one too). Below 4000rpm she is not happy. I understand it's the nature of the beast but having no previous experience I wanted to make sure I wasn't riding around enjoying, in my ignorance, some kind of problem.

Thanks all.

Nate
Old 06-Jul-2005, 20:40
DSC Club Member
Ducati Corse

Mood: I feel the need, the need for speed.
Clutches seem to get better when there warmer.
Give Pro Twins in Godstone a ring and get an ultimap chip, they make one for the 748R, I can recomend them.
Old 06-Jul-2005, 20:46
500SD

Mood: Yellow!!
Mines exactly the same and mine doesn't have a slipper clutch.

Apparently the slipping can be caused by a build up of dust from the dry clutch, if you've got a sealed clutch cover then it may be worth cleaning it out. (I need to do the same with mine)

Hillstarts can be tricky as too much gas and you'll either wheelie or the clutch will slip and you'll buckaroo up the road a few times, too little gas and it will stall. I've found it best to just be progressive with the clutch as you apply the throttle, start with low revs and increase while slipping the clutch out.

These bikes aren't town bikes by any stretch of the imagination, they are a riders bike and so prefer to be on the track or the open road. Below 4000 as you say it clatters and rattles and isn't happy.

If you're trundling through town just work the gearbox a bit more and keep it revving to 4k+.

If its a wet day in town I'd personally give it a miss.
Old 06-Jul-2005, 21:01
Big Twin

Mood: I've just ordered a new bike and its a ..
I also have an R and yep,you've described it better than i could.I once in a while drag race mine and the clutch action is callenging to say the least,i've now junked the slipper and put one in from a 748 S .The clutch plate wear is also interesting ( 3.000 miles ),which should also improve.The horrible (fluffy)low throttle and R.P.M responce is kind of normal too.Dont forget that they are basically ever so slightly detuned race bikes.If you fit a F.I.M chip instead of the usual,the whole fueling can be adjusted by a "plug in and play"on the rolling road.They really are pleasure and pain in one package but put 50mm Termis on and the noise is ,well frankly expensive,boom and bite at the same time.
Old 06-Jul-2005, 21:46
BSB Star
Bikes: 998s, Jota, KTM 690 Duke

Mood: My Jota goes rumpety rump! & I have my wife exactly where she wants me!
My clutch has been crap from day1................. but its perfectly ok for a Ducati, trouble is I`m so used to a nice big oil cluctch on the Lav`
Old 06-Jul-2005, 22:03
888 at Last !!!

It's worthwhile doing a search on here. There have been a number of 748R clutch and throttle control posts. As far as I remember the 748R came standard with a slipper clutch.
Old 06-Jul-2005, 23:10
500SD

Mood: DOH!
Quote:
Originally posted by NateR

1. I have an STM slipper clutch, newish, and it is impossible to pull away with any degree of finesse and a quick or hill start is radically embarrassing Mega snatchy, slip and grab even at slow speed on the flat. I assume from reading that this is normal but thought I'd check with the experts.

Nate

Hi Nate, at the end of the day, the whole point of the dry clutch is that it grabs hard, that's what they do! The only way to pull away smoothly on the R IMO is to dial in about 8K and dump the clutch, it all works just like it should do then
Obviously not the done thing outside Woolys but there you go
The low speed nastiness is the price you pay for all that lovely top end I'm afraid, even with the slightly smaller throttle bodies you're always gonna have low speed running issues with intakes that size.
I also used to find it hysterically uncomfortable around town for any length of time, as well as hot!
Oh yeah, and remember, you always have to snick her into neutral at junctions and the like otherwise your snazzy new STM clutch will wear out in about 25 minutes! (Just to make town riding even easier)

you can forgive her everything when you get her wound up on those big flowing A roads though
Old 06-Jul-2005, 23:15
500SD

Mood: Yellow!!
Can someone please confirm why putting it in neutral is any different from holding the clutch in?

Also how long is too long to hold the clutch in?
Old 06-Jul-2005, 23:19
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Found a CR250. Let the bone braking begin
if its in gear and you have the leaver in it will drag and get hot.
if its in neutral the plates aren't apart and skimming each other to revolve so wont wear or get hot.
if im stopped I always knock it into neutral
Old 07-Jul-2005, 21:59
Montjuic

Hi guys

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate, understand and enjoy all the quirks. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't incubating a future disaster .. although I might be if I don't get into the habit of finding neutral at a standstill :-)

Jen: I'll try the 8k take-off and report back