Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 21-Jul-2004, 17:42
Montjuic
Bikes: Ducati Multistrada V4S Sport

749s running in?

Hi all,
I'm a newbie to Ducati and have just bought a 749s.
I have a problem and I hope that you can help me or reasure me that I've not got a duffer!!
When the engine is sufficiently warm, if I need to stop for any reason, unless I keep the engine rpm high or keep revving, there is a misfire and the engine cuts out (very embarrasing). I had this problem with the demo 999 and 749 before I bought my bike but the sales guy just said they needed servicing. My question is, have I bought a duffer, am I doing something wrong or is it quite normal and will be rsolved after the first service?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Stevo
Old 21-Jul-2004, 17:46
Big Twin

Mood: Sans moto
There is a problem with 749's stalling - have a look on earlier posts in the tech section.
Your dealer WILL know about this - who is it?

And welcome to the board.
Old 21-Jul-2004, 17:48
Big Twin

Mood: Train comes and I know its destination
My 999S stalls occasionally, even with the engine hot. Seems to be a fact of life, you have to factor that in when deciding whether it's safe to pull out into the traffic.

I'd get the cause of the misfire looked at - don't like the sound of that.
Old 21-Jul-2004, 18:03

Not sure about the misfire, but as for the stalling, my experiences tell me that if i warm her up slowly (without exceeding 2000rpm, prefferably lower) and only jump on once the temp is up to about 50 I don't have any problems. If i jump on before she's up to temp or rev too high on warm-up I have problems with stalling.

Just my experience, dunno if anyone else can relate to this?

ps. Welcome!
Old 21-Jul-2004, 19:39
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
I've found that the stalling problem can be caused by the clutch lever setting. Try setting it a bit further out (i.e. away from the bar). You'll find that it's a bit harder to pull, but the action works better and prevents stalling.

The misfire is not normal. My 749S has never misfired, and I've been out in wind, rain and shine (including a combination of all three!). My demo ride on a 749S was in the pouring rain, and the bike never missed a beat.

Sounds like your dealer can't set their bikes up properly.
Old 22-Jul-2004, 15:54
Montjuic

About how many percent of the 04 749 is experiencing that stalling problem? Has anyone (dealership or manufacturer) been able to pinpoint the problem and cure it?
Old 22-Jul-2004, 22:10
Mille

Mood: Bring the noise!
Quote:
Originally posted by typer77
About how many percent of the 04 749 is experiencing that stalling problem? Has anyone (dealership or manufacturer) been able to pinpoint the problem and cure it?
Old 22-Jul-2004, 22:19
Mille

Mood: Bring the noise!
Quote:
Originally posted by typer77

My ’04 749S has been stalling from day one. The dealer altered the fuelling and idle speed at the first service and this has reduced the tendency to stall. The dealer notes that the bikes (749, 999) seem to run pretty lean at the low end of the rev range contributing to the problem.

Mine also has the misfire and tends to do this shortly after warm up before going for a long ride. I would assume that this might be from condensation in the front coil / cap as it doesn’t seem to occur after a half hour ride or so. However, this does not affect the running of the bike at anytime other that when idling, so just a couple of minor quirks that don’t effect performance.