Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 25-May-2004, 12:01
Mille

Mood: suns out...happpy!!!brm brm
Running temp?

Hello all,the new bloke again.....what temp is my 998 s'posed to run at?when im on an open road it sits at about 80,as soon as i slow or hit town it starts to rise to about 100 b4 the fan cuts in....i've checked the coolant,etc,(thats how i broke the quick release fuel gadgets!)....is this right,my last bike(a blade) ran a lot cooler.
Old 25-May-2004, 12:29
Mille

This would seem about typical for a Duke, although maybe slightly high. Mine runs at about 70 at normal operating conditions and used to rise to about 95 before the fan kicked in, if you were in traffic. If the ambient temperature was high (anything above mid 20s) then this was often too late and the thing would be up at 110 before you knew it. I had an FIM chip put in and in the process had the fan initiation temp reduced to 89. This made a big difference in that the fan would kick in before it was too late, so could actually manage the temperature.
Old 25-May-2004, 12:30
500SD
Bikes: CBR 600F2-(Ishikawa), Blade RRS-(Baba San), 996s-(Tambo), 996R-(Tambo), MV f1000 312-Tambo

Mood: I like my bike

When I had a 996S the running and standing still temp seemed to be lower, my perception.
Now have a 996R and the on road running temp is @80 as you say.
When standing still or moving slowly as you say, it runs up to over 100 before the fans cut in. So seems consistent with yours.
Does not seem to do any harm and the dealer did not think it was irregular.
One comment about this has been that the new smooth 998 fairings do not disipate heat as well as the old, more open, 996 fairings. Seems logical because the old 996 fairings had the deep open holes just behind the radiator.
Solution I guess is not to slow down!
Old 25-May-2004, 13:02
Mille

ok,well thanks for that,i'll stop flapping now,like i say ,new to ducatis so im on a steep learning curve!!!!!
Old 25-May-2004, 13:35
500SD
Bikes: CBR 600F2-(Ishikawa), Blade RRS-(Baba San), 996s-(Tambo), 996R-(Tambo), MV f1000 312-Tambo

Mood: I like my bike

Looking at the shear amount of info on this site, I would say steep and long. Had a Fireblade before as well and after 10,000 miles it had still not required any care and attention. The duc is a little different but much more rewarding.
Old 25-May-2004, 16:24
Mille

smilo......yup ,ill go with that,the blade was bullet proof,but nowhere near as much fun!!!!
Old 27-May-2004, 23:28
500SD

Mood: Double 9, Single 6.
Quote:
Originally posted by PaulC
This would seem about typical for a Duke, although maybe slightly high. Mine runs at about 70 at normal operating conditions and used to rise to about 95 before the fan kicked in, if you were in traffic. If the ambient temperature was high (anything above mid 20s) then this was often too late and the thing would be up at 110 before you knew it. I had an FIM chip put in and in the process had the fan initiation temp reduced to 89. This made a big difference in that the fan would kick in before it was too late, so could actually manage the temperature.

Hello mate,

Are u saying that changing the chip will also change the point at which the fan will cut in on the temp gauge?

Only had my fuel chip changed to a FIM one and since that point my fan cuts in much later.