Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 21-Jun-2004, 22:16

Mood: I ordered a Cheese Burger
Adjusting that chain

Just taken a look at the chain adjustment on my 748 bip for the first time (not had it that long).

Followed the instructions in the holy manuals but found that whichever way I rotate the bearing carrier the chain starts to slacken.

Does that mean chain/sprockets are lunched, or going that way?
Old 21-Jun-2004, 23:23
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
Sounds like the adjuster's as far back as it goes and you need a new chain....
If you've got service receipts, can you work out how many miles are on the chain?
Old 22-Jun-2004, 00:32
Big Twin

Mood: happy bike passed MOT
the eccentric adjuster could in the wrong position !! there was a thread about this on the old board but i can't find it it was explained by shazzam as i had a similar problem with mine it was confusing at first but i got it worked out in the end .

but as nick says check your chain isn't shagged first
Old 22-Jun-2004, 02:14
500SD

Basically you want the centre of the axle lower then the centre of the eccentric. When you turn the eccentric you'll see the swingarm rise and fall - you want the swingarm high.

To check your chain for excessive wear measure over 16 links, if it's longer than 256.5mm it's knackered. Also check the teeth on the sprockets, any "hooking" and they can go in the bin as well!

Cheers, Neil.
Old 22-Jun-2004, 02:20
Big Twin

Whatever you don't leave it as long as I did, I assumed 16000 miles would be no problem for a chain and sprockets, for the last few hundred miles I could hear a strange sound from the back of the bike, wasn't til I went to lube the chain that I noticed 5 missing teeth from the rear sprocket!
Old 22-Jun-2004, 14:38
Big Twin

As NBs says...your hub must be at its maximum for chain tension (at a 3 oclock position if viewed from the sprocket side. If thats the case, rotating it either way will only slacken the chain. If you have recently bought the bike, then I imagine the dealer/previous owner just didn't bother splashing out on a new chain.

New chain needed by the sounds of it, unless the chain is fine, and the previous owner run different gearing, a bigger rear sprocket, and changed it back prior to selling...which may explain why the chain is now slack even when maxed out?

Anyways...new chain about £65 from Nelly/Mike Davies. Can recommend the Tsubaki Heavy duty X ring in gold...look good too!
Old 23-Jun-2004, 19:05

Mood: I ordered a Cheese Burger
Thanks guys

Dead chain and out with the cheque book!