Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 18-Sep-2006, 19:53
Big Twin

Should I/Shouldnt I ??

What does anyone think of the Kawasaki zx636 ?

After not using my 749R that much I was tempted to sell it even though I love it but I have been offered a brand new zx636 with a special paint job plus £6500 for my 749R.

This adds up to about £14k for my bike but the 636 can be bought for under £6k so this adds up to £12,5k.

My bike is out of warranty and needs a big belt service so with not working through ill health the £6.5k will not come in wrong.

Any opinions on the 636 ???

My local Ducati dealer informed me today that they are NOT taking ANY Ducatis in at all for p/ex as they cannot get rid of what they have and they say that they have also been told by Ducati that the new model will not be out until late next year ?
Old 18-Sep-2006, 20:07
Dibble

of all the 600's it's my favorite, goes, stops and turns very impressively with real world torque and midrange rather than all the power being at the top end like the R6 & GSXR 600, a better bike than my old CBR600 was as well, its what I'd be buying if I could afford a second bike and allow me to retire the 996 to trackday use.

it will never be a match for the 749R as far as pride of ownership but a stunning bike to own anyhow if its for the riding you want it, and if as you say the money would be handy, it won't disappoint ...
Old 18-Sep-2006, 20:34
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
If you sell your R you will regret it. It's a limited edition bike, not easy to find and not many about. It's very special. The Kwak is probably a good bike but, it's like mass-produced cheese.
Old 18-Sep-2006, 20:40
888 at Last !!!

I say yes you should do it. Some things are more important and as nice and as good as a 749R is it's 14K you have sitting in the garage not doing much. And that's fine, if you can afford it or want it that way but if you're not happy with that much cash doing nothing then you'll feel better with the kwaka in the garage. Sounds like a decent enough deal. You might miss it but I doubt you'll regret it.
Old 18-Sep-2006, 20:47
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games
Quote:
Originally Posted by iang

Any opinions on the 636 ???

I had one and did about 4000miles on it.

Its small, and not as comfortable as a 749. small, light, flickable, engine is a bit rough through 9000rpm, but is torquey, flexible and responsive

build quality is not as good as the Ducati, paint finish aint that great. £70 if you lose a key.

allow about a day to get the fairings off

clocks have a twisted logic when it comes to fuel

I got rid of it as it was cramping my knees and I am only 5ft 10, but reasonably fit
Old 18-Sep-2006, 20:54
Mille

After owning my 749r for 6 weeks now id have to say Dont Do It!!!, The grin it puts on my face every time i ride it or walk in the garage is worth every penny,if you do take the money it will soon be spent and then what? same financial position as before but with a riceburner in the garage...No Thanks!
You will only regret it and ask yourself, why is a dealer offering you the equivalent of 12.5k for your bike when in fairness trade money is more like 8.5k tops?? Seems too good to be true to me?
Old 18-Sep-2006, 21:01
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Do the right thing and keep the 'R'.
That Kwak may seem like a bargain now,but in two years time it will be completely fooked and worth tuppence.
Old 18-Sep-2006, 21:09
Mille

Ian, if you want to free up some cash you could always sell some of the bling, who knows i may be able to help you out with some bits!!
Old 18-Sep-2006, 22:31
Big Twin

I'm lucky enough to have both, and they are totally different animals.

The kwak feels much lighter than the R, and feels easier to throw around, although less stable in faster turns.

Mine has had the programmable race ECU and loom fitted, and set up with Akra exhaust, and it really does fly after 8k. Doesnt feel like it has much torque though, especially compared to the drive of the R.

Ive blinged it up a bit, and it is a nice looking bike, but nothing like the R, and nowhere near as special.

So much so that I'm now selling the kwak, because there is another very special R (not the 749R) that has taken its space!!!!!!!!
Old 18-Sep-2006, 23:16
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games
Quote:
Originally Posted by khu996

So much so that I'm now selling the kwak, because there is another very special R (not the 749R) that has taken its space!!!!!!!!

did the same, bought and sold the kwak whilst owning the 749 at the same time. Replaced the Kwak with an RSV1000R, which is a much better bike than the Kwak IMHO