Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 16-Apr-2005, 00:15
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
Desmo Due regs confusion

There seems to be some inconsistencies in the rules. From the link in this forum:

"Oil catching undertray is required. This must hold 4 litres minimum."

The ACU book says:

..."at least half of the total oil and coolant capacity"

Therefore it's not necessary to contain 4 litres.

Also several people in this forum seem confused about breathers, oil catch tanks etc. The answer is quite obvious and contained in the excellent ACU rule book on page 174. I don't understand why there's so much confusion.
AFAIK from Lin's M600 it breathes into the air box and also into a little tank under the seat. These would constitute a catch tank and are basically the same as on my MiniTwin race bike.

Brakes : "If using twin disks brake lines must be separate below bottom fork clamp-construction and use regulations."

This is in contravention of the ACU regs in section 5.24

HTH.

[Edited on 16-4-2005 by twpd]
Old 16-Apr-2005, 00:30
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
Thanks for that.

Old 16-Apr-2005, 09:50
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
cheers TW, ever since I & Mark went thru those DD rules, they have been - and seeking clarification WHY ever since, with no success

Alan
Old 16-Apr-2005, 10:11
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Quote:
Originally posted by twpd
There seems to be some inconsistencies in the rules. From the link in this forum:

"Oil catching undertray is required. This must hold 4 litres minimum."

The ACU book says:

..."at least half of the total oil and coolant capacity"

Therefore it's not necessary to contain 4 litres.

Also several people in this forum seem confused about breathers, oil catch tanks etc. The answer is quite obvious and contained in the excellent ACU rule book on page 174. I don't understand why there's so much confusion.
AFAIK from Lin's M600 it breathes into the air box and also into a little tank under the seat. These would constitute a catch tank and are basically the same as on my MiniTwin race bike.

Brakes : "If using twin disks brake lines must be separate below bottom fork clamp-construction and use regulations."

This is in contravention of the ACU regs in section 5.24

HTH.

[Edited on 16-4-2005 by twpd]

The catch-tank situation is still confusing me thouugh!!!

You say that the oil breather is sorted out on a Monster (620?) by the catch tank under the seat, but what about the fuel breather? I have a pipe that exits from the back right of the tank and is fed down to just behind the engine - is this the fuel tank breather? Does this need to be fed into a catch tank? Or is this just an iverflow pipe for the fuel cap? Does the Monster use the fuel cap as a fuel breather too?

It may be obvious to some, but not to me - I must be fik !!!!

Tim
Old 16-Apr-2005, 10:42
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
confused me when it said 4 holes in the belly pan - but that will let the oil out
Old 16-Apr-2005, 11:20
WSB Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by bradders
confused me when it said 4 holes in the belly pan - but that will let the oil out

The bellypan holes should be plugged all of the time, except when its wet - then you'll need to let the water out somehow. Otherwise heavy braking with a bellypan full of water will deposit a load of water under the front tyre just when you don't need it!!!

If its wet and you're overflowing oil into the bellypan I reckon the water will dilute it to the point of being a non-issue.

Tim
Old 16-Apr-2005, 11:49
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Quote:

I always thought it was 2 holes One at the front and one at the back of the bellypan.
Old 16-Apr-2005, 12:25
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Still having fun!
Ok I am making a suggestion here, - I am not "authorised" to make a decision as I am not on the racing committee, - but I acknowledge that circumstance outside of our control means that final rules to competitors will arrive later than they should. So whilst things like sponsor stickers are important (as without them believe me the series would not be going ahead), perhaps rules that effect safety and racing performance (ie cheating) should be the ones that get the focus at Cadwell?
Old 16-Apr-2005, 14:28
WSB Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by domskidue
Quote:

I always thought it was 2 holes One at the front and one at the back of the bellypan.

The bellypan I got from JHP only has one hole in the centre - the DD regs state that there should be a maximium of 2 holes. Do the perhaps mean minimum????

Tim
Old 16-Apr-2005, 20:19
GTL

Mood: ten, nine, eight oh bu**er lets go!
Call me stooooopid, but can't think of a practical reason why the belly pan should need two holes anyway; unless its shaped making two distinct 'wells' for fluids to collect in.

Surely one hole at the lowest point will allow adequate drainage if water is slopping around inside?

What am I missing here???