Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 02-Aug-2005, 10:25
GTL

\'Daytime M.O.T\'

I was wondering if anyone knew if there was such a thing as a 'daytime' MOT? Maybe I'm mistaken,but I seem to recall a year or so ago a bike shop telling me that it was possible to obtain one so long as certain things were physically disconnected....headlight/horn etc.
Also,are indicators legally required on a motorcycle to pass an MOT?
Thanks in advance......
Old 02-Aug-2005, 10:29
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: 900,900,851,750,750,750, 600,600,450,350,350,250
Absolutely no problem getting one.
Most (proper) trials bikes get that kind for instance.
You have to take off the lights, not just disconnect them though, same with indicators - if they're fitted, they have to work for the mot, but dont have to be fitted.
You _will_ need a horn !
Old 02-Aug-2005, 10:29
500SD

Not again, maybe best to do a search ...The last post on this was around 200 replies long
Old 02-Aug-2005, 11:08
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
Try here.......
Daylight MOT Saga.....
:P
Old 02-Aug-2005, 12:29
500SD

I pursued this subject a few months ago and the upshot was I got a nice e-mail from the Department for Transport confirming that you do not need any lights at all so long as the vehicle is only used between sunrise and sunset. The exception is on days of very poor visibility, i.e. fog, heavy rain etc.

Switch gear and lights can remain on the vehicle as long as they are disconnected (not just bulbs removed) and the lights are fully taped over. Why you would want to just disconnect rather than removing beats me but legally you can go that route.

They did advise retaining a brake light purely from a personal safety point of view. (There are some very small "E" marked LED brake/tail lights available which do the job nicely.)

And as Phil pointed out, you do need a horn.
Old 02-Aug-2005, 13:01
GTL

Thanks guys.. Well I'm lost! I went into my local MOT station yesterday and they told me that there isn't,and never has been,a daytime MOT available...regardless of vehicle type. Why is nothing ever straight forward
Old 02-Aug-2005, 13:21
GTL
Bikes: ST4s ABS

Quote:
Originally posted by sye73
Thanks guys.. Well I'm lost! I went into my local MOT station yesterday and they told me that there isn't,and never has been,a daytime MOT available...regardless of vehicle type. Why is nothing ever straight forward

********. Have a look here for the rules http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual/mc_contents.htm
and if your local MoT place won't do it go to another one.
Old 02-Aug-2005, 13:23
Ducati Corse

The department of transport will be coming at it from an MOT point of view. Therefore what they are telling you is quite correct.

Rushjob is coming at it from a Construction and Use point of view which is what you will get done under if you get caught on the road with no lights regardless of what your MOT says.
Old 02-Aug-2005, 14:01
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
Quote:
From the other thread, posted by Felix
Mate of mine did exactly that: rode with trackday bodywork, no lights; had an accident; not his fault (lady pulled on him); he got done for illegal vehicle even though he had a daylight MOT; no insurance payout; big solicitors fees.

So, proceed at your own risk.

Quote:
And from me on the same subject in another thread
The contents of Table 2 of Schedule 1 of the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 are what you need to read and comply with.

Front position lamp - Schedule 2: Part I - A solo motor bicycle fitted with a headlamp is exempt from fitting.

Dipped-beam headlamp - Schedule 4: Part I A vehicle first used before 1st January 1931 is exempt.

Main-beam headlamp - Schedule 5: Part I - the following exemptions apply -
A vehicle having a maximum speed not exceeding 25 mph;
A vehicle first used before 1st January 1972 and having an engine with a capacity of less than 50 cc;
A vehicle first used before 1st January 1931.

Direction indicator - Schedule 7: Part I the following exemptions apply -
A vehicle first used before 1st April 1986;
A vehicle which is constructed or adapted primarily for use off roads (whether by reason of its tyres, suspension, ground clearance or otherwise) and which can carry only one person or which, in the case of a motor bicycle combination, can carry only the rider and one passenger in the sidecar.

Rear position lamp - Schedule 10: Part I - exemptions- None.

Stop lamp - Schedule 12: Part I - the following exemptions apply
A vehicle first used before 1st April 1986 and having an engine with a capacity of less than 50 cc;
A vehicle first used before 1st January 1936.

Rear registration plate lamp - Schedule 15 - exemptions - A vehicle not required to be fitted with a rear registration plate.

Rear retro reflector - Schedule 18: Part I - exemptions - None.

( The part where it mentions off road vehicles relates to trials / motocross type bikes only )

This is the legal standard you would have to meet if going to court - a daylight MOT is not worth the paper it's written on if it is produced to a cop who knows traffic law.

An MOT is not proof that the vehicle is roadworthy, in fact if you look at your MOT certificate it says on the front......

Warning A Test Certificate is not evidence that the vehicle is in a satisfactory mechanical condition.
Old 02-Aug-2005, 16:07
500SD

As explained to me by the Department for Transport, the pertinant info on this issue is contained within Regulation 4, Subsection 3(a) of the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989.

"Nothing in these Regulations shall require any lamp or reflector to be fitted between sunrise and sunset to a vehicle not fitted with any front or rear position lamp."