Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 24-Feb-2004, 08:30
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Good news on Gatsos

Saw on the main news last night that the Metropolitan Police are removing hundreds of speed cameras, apparently from all but accident black spots and areas like schools and hospitals...

According to the report several other police authorities are now very mindful that speed cameras are widely perceived as revenue generators by the general public, and undermining their attempts to promote real road safety.

OK, so it's a small start and it's only one force but could this be the thin end of a sensible, rational wedge?

Mind you, I can't believe I'm the first person to post this, so I might have dreamed it
Old 24-Feb-2004, 08:47
Mille

No you didn't dream it Jools, I saw it on the front page of the Evening Standard last night, I didn't get a chance to read the article properly as I was stood in the petrol station, the bnit I read said something about they're leaving alot of cameras in place and they'll still be flashing speeding drivers but there won't be any film in them so no fines will be issued.

Obviously that's going to cause loads of confusion as drivers won't know its a proper camera or not!
Old 24-Feb-2004, 09:11
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
You misread it Celine, it was on the TV news last night. Apparently they are going to remove about 150 cameras but will insert speed boards in their place. These are those flashing signs that light up with your speed if you are over the limit. I think they are very effective since they remind the average driver they are over the limit. Of course there is the possibility that 'Boy Racers' will use them to see who can go fastest past the sign.
Could be a whole new game.
Not that us sensible types would do anything like that-would we?

John
Old 24-Feb-2004, 09:57
Bevel Head

Mood: Spring is coming, but its a bit
Its on the front page of todays Times as well.
Old 24-Feb-2004, 09:57
Big Twin

Never EVER done that before Monty!

Apparently only around 250 out of 600+ cameras will have film in, and the ones that dont will gradually be taken down - problem is working out which ones are loaded and which arent... any volunteers?
Old 24-Feb-2004, 11:33
GTL

Mood: Moving Up in the world.
Apparently the top 21 most dangerous roads in britain have very few speed cameras... yeah, like that makes sense.
Old 24-Feb-2004, 12:17
DSC Membership Sec. & BHCN R.O.
Webteam
Big Twin
Bikes: None at the moment

Mood: Feeling old...
Speed cameras are redundant - in most locations they're bright yellow and clearly visible. Everyone knows where they are and they're obviously not making enough money, plus they are targetted by vandals from time to time.
So what will replace them? More mobile vans? They park up for an hour or so, catch a bunch of people speeding (and the lasers they use have such a range that they've nailed you long before you've had time to see them and react), then disappear off somewhere else.
I'm not a fan of speed cameras, but I know which ones I prefer. Fixed sites are an inconvenience, mobiles are potentially far worse.
Old 24-Feb-2004, 12:25
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
UB996 has it right I think...more civvie mobile vans and less fixed sites. Also, I saw a report that the vans have to 'pay for themselves', ie if a civvie does not issue enough tickets to cover all 'costs' they will be fired!!

oh what it must be like to be free.....
Old 24-Feb-2004, 12:34
Big Twin

Mood: Channel Swim is now a (bad) memory not a dream
Yes, I agree. The fixed Gatso will virtually disappear I think and will remain just at real black spots. The mobile ones are a potential menace if they end up in the 'safe' areas for revenue generation. I fully endorse ANY camera use at real danger area, if marked in advance, eg schools etc, but one of the things I read was for volunteer civilians doing it.

WeeJohnyB
Old 24-Feb-2004, 13:39
Big Twin
Bikes: 916SPS Ratbike + 749R Shed

Mood: Ugly girls (749) are more dirty.....
Could somebody please tell West Sussex County Council about the recent findings on effectiveness of GATSO's.....yesterday, on my way to work in (lovely) Crawley, I find THREE new speed cameras have appeared where there were previously none!!!

WTF????

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit