Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 27-Feb-2004, 10:11
Founder Member
Ducati Meccanica

House Security

OK so I've only just asked about digital cameras but I urgently need advice from anyone with knowledge of house security/burglar alarm systems.

My poor old Mum has now been burgled twice in less than a month by three thieving scumbags who broke into a window at the back of her bungalow. Beware if you have an elderly relative living in the North Bucks area as this gang are going round breaking into bungalows while people are relaxing in the evening. They didn't get much on either occassion but what really pi**es me off is that they are prepared to break in and intimidate old people, some of whom are far more frail than my Mum for the sake of a bit of loose change. It changes their lives for ever and I'm sure that it will eventually kill some poor old dear who is confronted by three thugs ransacking their home.

Back on topic, I've put a 500 watt security light at the back of the bungalow but want to put a sensibly priced alarm system inside, the rooms that were broken into are rarely used so could be alarmed full time in a "zone ?" while she can use the rest of the bungalow as usual.

I'm sure there is someone out there with some valuable advice on the subject.

Oh and I'm offering £1,000 cash reward to anyone who can give me information that will lead to ME being able to find these "people", not interested in the old "information leading to arrest or conviction blah blah blah".
Old 27-Feb-2004, 10:33
Ducati Corse

Paul, in a previous life I did a couple of years of alarm installing. My knowledge is about ten years out of date though.

The most common (and cheapest) systems are those based on passive infra red detectors. They are quick to install and cheap however they don’t go off until someone has actually broken into the house. You want something that goes off before they get in so you need a system based on vibration sensors on the windows which will detect someone tampering with the frame or trying to smash the glass. Most modern alarm panels will let you set up various zones which you can have turned on or of as required.

Best bet is to speak to your local crime prevention officer as he will be able to recommend an approved installer.
Old 27-Feb-2004, 11:14
500SD

Mood: Not sure
Hi paul

I have fitted a wireless alarm to my house from B&Q, I know the alarm experts will cringe but it cost me £350 and covers all downstairs and the garage. It's easy to add extra PIR's or door/window magnet's and can operate 4 seperate zones. I think they are ideal for the older person as they have a remote keyfob to operate the alarm aswel as the keypad, so much easier for them to use.

Darren
Old 27-Feb-2004, 11:20

Mood: Happy
Hi Paul

A flex plugged into the mains (240v) and then wired to all the handles on doors and windows works well. should make the fu****g scumbags think again before they do it again
Old 27-Feb-2004, 11:29
everton

Paul,

Very sorry to hear about your Mum's misfortune. My mother-in-law lives with my brother-in-law and won't be left on her own. So when he and his wife goes away she comes to us. I have absolutely no problem with that as long as she is safe and feels safe.

IMHO - get the professionals in and have a word with the local Police station and get them to send a Crime Prevention Office (or whatever they call them now) round to advise you on good security and deterrents.

You can't skimp on this kind of security purely for peace of mind.

Having been burgled once, I asked the investigating Sergeant what he would do if he found scum like that in his home..........basically he suggested giving them a hiding they would never forget and suggest they take him to court. Not so good advice

Still, like I said - get the professionals in.
Old 27-Feb-2004, 11:32
Ducati Corse

If your going to beat someone up, make sure that you kill them because dead people cant sue you for damages!!
Old 27-Feb-2004, 12:39
Founder Member
Ducati Meccanica

"Beat someone up " !!! What a dreadful suggestion, hadn't occurred to me for a minute but I'll bear it in mind as last resort.

Just been talking with the crime prevention officer and he is not allowed to suggest which system/installer to use. Think the vibration sensors on the windows makes good sense as it will trigger the alarm prior to any intruder gaining access.

Thanks for your comments folks, always rely on support from people posting here.

Hope I will still be riding when I'm 132 as Vman suggests

[Edited on 27-2-2004 by Paul James]
Old 27-Feb-2004, 20:28
Big Twin

Mood: Avatar what Avatar
I have ADT Alarms fitted house and garage wired up to the old bill so if any one breaks in they know about it.
The did arrive very promptly when it went off by accident.
So Sorry to here about your mum there are some evil little b****s about.

Mark
Old 27-Feb-2004, 20:40
Big Twin

Mood: Waiting for the change (Not the menopause)
You might find the little turds here.

http://www.chavscum.co.uk

Sorry to hear about you mum to, hope she feels safer when you get things sorted.

Murray Mint
Old 29-Feb-2004, 06:11
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Paul,first off sorry to hear about your mum.Robbing off old folks is a despicable thing to do,IMO.
Burglar alarms.
You can buy excellent alarm systems at an electrical wholesaler for not a lot of money.Newey and Eyre do a wireless system for around 180quid and a wired in system for about 120.Just about everything you need is in the kit including full instructions.The only thing they dont supply is a 240v mains supply to the alarm panel.If you go for the wired option you get a couple of PIR motion sensors,some window/door switches and a 6 zone panel.There is even a panic button option.Dead easy to wire up in a bungalow.Both systems use an external siren with flashing strobe.Extra sensors/door switches can be added if required.Setting the panel up can be a bit of a pain,especially if you have'nt installed one before.You have to follow the instructions carefully.The panel is a quality bit of kit and can be set for lots of options.Its also very reliable and user friendly.Well reccomended.

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit