Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 24-Mar-2005, 14:39
Bevel Head

First Ride - BIG grin - No neutral !!!

Having had the 748 Bip for almost 2 weeks finally got spare time to take it out today - when not in traffic it is lovely ( doesnt seem to like going slowly much, which wont be good for my license ! ).

Anyway... have read a few other posts on here and wanted some clarification.

It doesnt seem to want to go into Neutral at all, no matter how much left foot fumbling I do while stationary or coming up to junctions etc...

It goes into 1st fine, and up and down the other gears with no problems once moving, when stopped the N light did come on, but the bike was still in gear - did manage to get it into neutral more by luck than judgement once I got home, but had to resort to holding the clutch in in 1st at the lights.

So....

Is this likely to be anything major up with the gearbox ( bike is under 3 months warranty, but the dealer isnt local so dont want to be without it for ages if its something reasonably cheap I can get sorted by my local shop ) or more likely to be an adjustment problem - I have got the clutch lever on the closest to the bars setting as I find it more comfortable, so would changing it help, or should I look at having the clutch bled ?

Did also notice the clutch was a bit all or nothing when pulling away and trying to slip it.

Sorry if this has been covered, but I'm confused why it would go into all the other gears fine, but not be finding neutral properly, and why changing the span adjuster would effect this - the light does come on fine when its actually in neutral - do the Italians just make neutral really hard to find as a quirk ?

Any help or advice appreciated

Mike

p.s. every time I did stop somewhere, someone came up to me to talk about the bike, which was quite nice - shame it was middle aged blokes and not pneumatic young females though...

[Edited on 24-3-2005 by mikecardiff]
Old 24-Mar-2005, 14:57
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Changing the span adjuster (outwards) would allow you to pull the lever further thus disengaging the clutch further.

Could be several things, clutch slave cylinder (is it leaking, or an aftermarket version?) could be air in the line, could be your clutch basket being worn, and sticking when disengaging.

Could be the selector forks in your gearbox

How old and how many miles has your bike covered?

Several things to go on there...
Old 24-Mar-2005, 16:11
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: I'm so happyyyyyyyyyyyy
Will it go in/out easily without the engine running. If so, prob clutch dragging a bit.
Old 24-Mar-2005, 16:19
Big Twin

Mood: Sans moto
Quote:
[i]

and not pneumatic young females though...

would that be a blow up doll
Old 24-Mar-2005, 18:15
Bevel Head

It didnt seem to make a difference if the engine was running or not as it wouldnt find neutral when I was parking up during the journey, even with shuffling the bike back and forth and trying again etc...

It sort of felt to my foot as though it was slipping past neutral into second from first, there didnt seem to be any click or clunk where you could feel it going into neutral.

Bike is 98 and has done 13,000 - it did have a full engine service ( strip and belts etc.. ) around 700 miles ago ( this was before I bought it ) so I dont know if checking the clutch parts would have come under that - plently of fluid in the clutch resevoir, and its the original one, cant see any leaks from the resevoir or at the engine end.

Old 24-Mar-2005, 20:34
Mille

Mood: Erratic
Take it back mate, did it come from a Duke dealer?
Old 24-Mar-2005, 20:56
Big Twin

Mood: renegade sexy racer
So some bikes don't do this, (not going in to neutral thing) ? I thought they all did it when running but stopped ? not right
Old 24-Mar-2005, 22:17
Bevel Head

It didnt come from a Duc dealer ( general bike shop ) - thing is the shop is 150 miles away so I dont want to mess about getting them to collect it and have it for ages if its something that can be done simply.

It did go into neutral when I got home OK though

Will try fiddling with the lever and stuff tomorrow and see if it makes a difference.

ericthered40 - does yours do the same thing then ?

Old 24-Mar-2005, 22:25
Big Twin

Mood: This is a carbon free zone!
Golden rule of Ducati ownership number one,

Always start bike with clutch in!
Old 24-Mar-2005, 22:26
Bevel Head

So I take it the neutral problem isnt uncommon then ? is it just something that happens on some of them and not others...