Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 26-Jun-2005, 16:36
Mille

Mood: .
Advice needed - Fueling and EPROMs

As preperation for my trip to the ring in two weeks time i have taken off the 'open' termis and put back the 150kg (close approximation) each standard termi cans.

When i fitted the 'race' termis (45mm end cans only) i bought a new chip from JHP and everything was hunky dory.... apart from me standing on the original one after i'd taken it out... One of my friends who does a bit with PCB and surface mount stuff sorted out the pins for me but this brings me to my problem.

When i replaced the standard chip today and turned the ignition the fuel pump started up ok, but then kept going and going and going unitll i killed the ignition. Turned the ignition again and the same thing.... Not good. I put in the JHP chip to see if the bike would start and after some coughing and spluttering seemed to run ok. I'm guessing my original chip has been 'spiked' and is goosed.

So do i need to order a new standard chip or can i run with the map for the open termis? The reason i ask is because i've read some discussion about the need for a different chip when changing cans, yay and nae. Opinions ?

Ta in advance.
Old 26-Jun-2005, 17:28
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Found a CR250. Let the bone braking begin
I would say you shouldn't run normal pipes with a open chip.
it will be over fuelling and may cause spark plug failure at the least.
I have a standard 996chip if thats what bike you have u can borrow but not if you are going to stand on it

[Edited on 26-6-2005 by keefer]
Old 26-Jun-2005, 18:52
Ducati Corse

To be honest i doubt it will hurt it. My bike ran open cans with the standard chip for over two years and was fine. It should have been running lean but it was quite happy. I doubt that going the other way would cause it to over fuel enough to foul the plugs. It might make it a bit fluffy but thats about all.

Having said all that, its not just as simple as plugging in the new chip and riding off into the sunset. To get the best from it the idle CO needs setting etc.
Old 26-Jun-2005, 19:16
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

I have seen reports that when you put the original Eprom in backwards that the pump will not shut off during the start cycle. I have also seen reports that a backwards chip won't allow the pump to start. I guess it depends on the chip and model of ECU.

There's a notch on the chip that designates the proper orientation.
Old 27-Jun-2005, 11:40
Mille

Mood: .
Thanks for the advice and the offer of a chip!

Shazaam, i checked that the chip is in the correct way round so it's not that. Going to buy another standard chip and fit that.

On a side note, when you turn the ignition, the pump starts for a few secs then turns off untill you hit the starter button. At that time does the pump come back on and stay on untill the engine/ignition is off?

2002, 748s.
Old 27-Jun-2005, 11:57
Ducati Corse

Yep. Once pressure is built up in the system it turn off till the motor starts.