Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 22-Apr-2004, 10:11
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
The 998r and the 999r road bikes have the same engine, the 998r is actually 999cc (If you want to add to the confusion the 996r was 998cc!!)

Racebike wise they are pretty much the same comparing the last of the line 998F02? with the 999F04 engine wise, a bit of engine development but the basic engine is the same.

Homologation rules for superbikes are pretty free in some areas and a certain amount of mix and match is OK.

All that Chili and his have done I believe is built up as good a 998 as they can, using the best/latest engine they can.

It never looks good when a factory team gets beats by somone using an older bike, marketing hate it.

It does appear that riders are struggling to get to grips with the 999 to get the vital feel they require for their confidence critical to racing. Most have to stcik with it for various reason. PSG have been able to take drastic action and not use the bike.
Hodgson/Xaus muttered about the 999 last year and michelin helped out and or they coped with the problem.

It all adds to the unpredictability of WSB this year,

Chili is the underdog hero in WSB and long may it continue.

Ray.
Old 22-Apr-2004, 10:39
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
I can see the 999R marketing people working on their new 999 sales campaign.....

......."buy the fantastic 999R - its got the same engine as the WSB Championship leading bike"

Tim

[Edited on 22-4-2004 by Rattler]
Old 22-Apr-2004, 12:06
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
If the tyre rules hadn't been brought into effect, I'm sure that Laconi wouldn't be having grip problems like he appeared to be suffering in the race.

He should easily have beaten Chili, as he had such a big lead, but it looks like Chili's experience with his home track taught him that a cut-slick was probably a better option as the track would dry. I don't know for sure, just guessing.

At least it makes for much more entertainment watching it than the usual Ducati procession!
Old 23-Apr-2004, 08:14
GTL

Mood: going for a ride...
Tyre choice and the weather made much more difference on Sunday than what engine Frankie may or may not have had in his bike

Laconi's fastest lap in race 1 was a 1:38 , Frankies fastest lap in race 2 was a 1:42

Last year , Xuas 's fastest lap was a 1:35 , the year before Bayliss's fastest lap was a 1:34
Old 23-Apr-2004, 09:24
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
It only won cos its yellow...

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit