Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 13-Mar-2005, 14:18
Bevel Head

Ride Height Adjuster - 748

Was looking in the Haynes manual, and it mentions there is a max length for the ride height adjuster, but not a minimum ( I assume the minimum is as short as it goes ??? )

Being a shorty could do with the seat being as low as poss and my adjuster is set with about 1/2" to the min setting.

Question is, will it be OK to adjust it down to the min length - will this upset the handling much, or make any real difference ?

thanks
Mike
Old 13-Mar-2005, 15:50
Mille

i know that lowering the rear ride height on its own will make it turn in more slowly but i don't know what other effects it will have
Old 13-Mar-2005, 22:57
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Lowering a Superbike

Superbikes come from the factory with the rear ride height adjuster set in its lowest position, so if it’s currently set higher, you can lower it back to the stock setting without sacrificing handling. The turn-in will be somewhat slower than your current setup however.

If you need to go still lower, then the main concern you’ll have is the loss of ground clearance.

But this is how you do it.

You need to lower the front and back equal amounts to preserve handling. So if you (say) drop the front forks 20mm in the triple clamps, then you need to also drop 20mm in the rear.

Assuming that it's already in the lowest tie rod position, you’ll need to disassemble it and have a machine shop remove 4mm from the end of the rod which allows it to be screwed-in 4mm further. Since the link ratio of the pivot point to the axle is about 5:1. screwing-in the tie rod 4mm will lower the rear 4 X 5 = 20mm - the same as the front.

[Edited on 3-13-2005 by Shazaam!]
Old 13-Mar-2005, 23:37
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
In addition, if you lower the front to far, the front wheel will hit the radiator under very hard braking.
Old 14-Mar-2005, 09:47
Bevel Head

Thanks for the info, I can manage the bike as it is OK now, would just be nicer to have the seat a fraction lower for comfort when stopping at lights etc...