Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 20-Jun-2004, 16:48
Big Twin

Mood: Not so broke any more !!!!!!!!
999 bp test drive

Took the 999 out for 3 hours on Sat for a test
Impressions

Engine
999 is much smoother , not sure if any quicker as the smoothnes is deceptive it also pulls from much lower down the rev range
Gearbox
999 is looser ,but to hop on & ride its prob easier to use
Ergonomics
999 is dammed uncormfortble after 100 odd miles i was sore
Handling
999 seems to track round corners better, mid corner is deffo better ,on the brakes is similar on the power no better maybe a bit worse but the tyres would have a lot do do with that the Mic sports that where fitted are not to good compared to the Diablo Corsa's i use
Build Quatlity
Very poor !!!!
Styling
IMO the 998 is much better , even though the 999 is growing on me slightly

This is all in comparison to my 2002 998 with 45mm race Termis & ICU ,with Full Ohlins in the forks & the rear re-sprung also has been set up to suit me ie clip-ons & rear sets , so the 999 after setting up the same would prob be more comfortable

Overall
Well i think i will keep the 998 or maybe go for a 998S in the future as i was disapointed with the 999 , i think the bikes are so diferent that a direct comparison is quite hard

If you take a 998 & water it down to make it more like a jap bike then you have the 999
Each to their own !!!!!!!!!!!

Next bike to test is R1 ,ZX10 then the Blade or in what ever order i can get them in

Feel free to argue as these are only my opinions !

[Edited on 20-6-2004 by Totto]
Old 20-Jun-2004, 17:23
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: Diavel, very non-std black & white ;)

Mood: Lucky? For some, maybe!
Glad I'm not the only one to have found that saddle uncomfortable! Shame really, I think it's a damned fine bike otherwise, just a bit too Japanese perhaps?
Old 20-Jun-2004, 18:03

Mood: Senna coloured!
Well as a guy coming from a JAP rocket background i think comparisons don't really work well as the jap stuff is very good but lacks the feel of something special.Ducati and dare i say it ! (other makes from same area in Europe) are so much more than just a very good bike they gain feel and love from the owners and the jap stuff is VERY good but lacking in other areas.I guess if you want a jap bike with feel it has to be a blade IMO.I had a few and (loved) the first one and the second etc were OK.

I don't think the 999 is too japanese just 'refined'

Just my opinion of course and no offence intended,but i do like a good debate

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit