Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 09-Aug-2004, 21:41

996 buying!

Hi everyone. Im looking for my first Ducati
Im off to look at 996's. Now im mecahnically minded and will look for the usual stuff, ie service history, HPI check etc.
But what should I look for that is Ducati spersific?
and how do I tell the difference between the models?
ie SPS, Biposte

Thakns
Old 09-Aug-2004, 23:29
Ducati Corse

Oh Huggy ..

,, you've kicked open the door on a very big subject

Many better versed than me will guide you over the next few days. Enjoy the journey and welcome to DSC.
Old 09-Aug-2004, 23:35
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Best you grab a seat Mr Huggybear ...

Not really, the wine made me say it ....

Ok, I'll have a go but someone who knows what they are talking about will be along soon ...

You don't necessarily need full Ducati service history, servicing from a quality independant is good enough IMO. Cornerspeed, Sigma Performance are two examples come to mind. Depending on mileage you want something that has had it's belts done (12,000 mile service is the bigger one) rockers and cams checked for flaky chrome on the rockers (one of my cam lobes needed polishing after a rocker lost it's chrome).

There's a few more to look out for - my tip is to search for posts by Shazaam and Nelly ... you'll find days worth of reading. Enjoy!!

And welcome ....
Old 09-Aug-2004, 23:49
Regional Organiser - BHCN
Ducati Corse

Mood: Raring to Ride
SPS or Sports Production Special came out in 1998 with 5 spoke Marchesini wheels and two injectors per cylinder with the 996 engine .The SPS was discontinued in 2001. The Biposto (two seats) 113 BHP compared to the SPS at 123 BHP. SPS had Ohlins with titanium nitride coated forks the Biposto had Showa forks. Bipostos are the more common as the SPS costs an arm and a leg. 4D
Old 10-Aug-2004, 10:26
500SD

Mood: Happy as Larry!!!
Hi Huggy,welcome to the board! I've had both a 996BP & SPS models,i'd recommend the SPS version everytime! OK they're more costly to buy & run but in my opinion they are much better & you enter into an even more exclusive club (not the Duke ownership is not exclusive)! Be careful,alot of people try to make BP'S look like SPS'S!! Late 916SPS'S have got the 996 engine,they come with 3 spoke wheels,ohlins rear shock but Showa forks! 996SPS'S come with 5 spoke wheels,ohlins shock (99 spec come with Showa forks)2000 come with ohlins forks!! All SPS'S come with an aluminium alloy subframe & a single seat unit! You can't always go off log books,they don't always give full describition of bike ie don't always say SPS! It's always a good idea to take a friend who knows what they are looking at!! Good luck!!