Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 09-Feb-2005, 19:28
Mille

Mood: I need to get out and ride more!
Starting problems...

Hoping someone can help me out with a little problem ive got with my otherwise lurvly 1000ss which is really winding me up and pushing me close to losing my sense of humour! Wheeled her out for a blast last weekend and at first she didnt start then after the third or fourth attempt the engine stopped turning over and all i got was an audible click on pushing the starter. Bought a very nice charger thinking the battery was flat (£44.99) and charged it up fitted it back on and just a click again. Checked all the fuses, rocked her back and forward in case the starter was stuck, still nothing. Bought a volt meter and battery is fine outputting over 13 volts so checked wiring over etc etc and nothing. All other electricals work fine (lights etc) so Im completely baffled.

Only option I have is to send her back to the garage in lincoln which is a real pain in the proverbials although as shes under warranty it wont cost me anything (apart from the train fare from P'boro to Lincoln of course to pick it up and the inconvenience of course). Anyway would love to avoid this so if you've got any ideas i could try i would be grateful to hear from you.

Cheers.
Old 09-Feb-2005, 20:18
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Hey mate,the click you can hear is the starter solenoid.Its basically the bit that connects the starter motor to the battery.
The battery seems sound and the solenoid sounds like its working,so.......have a look at the starter motor connection.Its under the front of the engine and collects all the crap off the front wheel.(You will probably need to whip orf the fairing)Pull the rubber boot off the connection and check for corrosion.
Are you about in the daytime?I could maybe nip round and have a look if you like.
Old 10-Feb-2005, 10:14
Mille

Hiya Keith, funny you should mention that. Mate of mine has suggested something similar to do with the solenoid. Unfortunately im not home till saturday.... thanks for the offer and if you could pop over i would be grateful - im sure i could get the kettle on and make sure there's some cake about
Old 10-Feb-2005, 13:07
WSB Hero

Tea and cakes??!!
I'll be popping over then!
Old 10-Feb-2005, 13:19
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Scully, you won't go far wrong there...the KeefyB thumbnail is the finest tool for contact cleaning known to mankind.

Worked for me, even when stranded at the Cat & Fiddle...out with the relay, scrape, scrape, scrape, vroom
Old 10-Feb-2005, 13:33
Mille

I had the same problem a couple of years ago on my superlight. It was the connection on the solenoid. Took the connection off and cleaned the copper bolt connection on the sol with wire wool and the spade connector on the wire. Poped it back on and covered it with grease. No problem since.
Old 10-Feb-2005, 14:00
Mille

Quote:
Originally posted by KeefyB
Tea and cakes??!!
I'll be popping over then!

Now now mate you'll be giving yourself a totally unjustified reputation... was it one lump or two?
Old 10-Feb-2005, 14:02
Mille

Thanks for the advice chaps im hopeful its something silly like a dirty connection. By the sounds of it ive got the best thumbnail in the business coming to sort it out
Old 12-Feb-2005, 21:13
WSB Hero

Just an update.
I popped over to scully's this arvo and had a look at the bike.After checking the solenoid and starter we decided the battery was knackered despite showing over 12.7v on the voltmeter.It just did'nt have enough ooomph to power the injection,ignition and turn the starter motor.The bike would'nt even go with a bump.At nearly £80 a pop,thank gawd for warranties!
Old 12-Feb-2005, 21:17
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

I was going to suggest 'carefully' giving the bike a jump-start from a car bettery to rule out anything around the starter motor but sounds like you have found the culprit !!!

Nice work.