Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 05-Jul-2005, 05:28
Mille

Coolant System Bleeding?

Hey guys, have been unable to find a good source of ducati info back here in Oz, so I will look to my old UK mates for input. Have just been doing a 20K service on the ST2 and flushed the water coolant system, refilled and thought had got it adequately bled. Went for a ride and after 5 minutes the temperature started to go through the roof. Brought it home and checked a few things including the thermostat, which appears to be working OK. The only thing out of ordinary is that while the temp is going high, the radiator is bone cold and the top tube heading back to the radiator is empty. Have tried bleeding the system further but with no luck. I assume I still have an air block somewhere, but am struggling for ideas. I know the system is difficult to bleed having helped a dealer do it once before when the thermostat failed, but pumping the tube coming out of the water pump doesn't seem to be doing the job this time.

Any suggestions?
Old 26-Jul-2005, 21:33
Regional Organiser - BHCN
Ducati Corse

Mood: Raring to Ride
Hi , Paul Trust you are well bronzed and getting the miles in. Or maybe you were until now. Silly things like trying to bleed it with the Pressure bottle cap on , running engine with cap off if possible You may realize im no ST Mech just thinking with me Plumbing hat on. Loosening hoses and seeing if fluid is there then chasing it higher up the system. Make up some thing that will force the air out like a hose from a outside tap then connecting to the top hose of the radiator . Never an easy way with bikes and having good knowledge of the arsing about that it takes to remove an ST's fairing not a 5 minute job. Knowing this lot here Im sure some one will give you a few tips hopefully. Nice to see you mate Regards 4D
Old 26-Jul-2005, 21:41
500SD
Bikes: 999 Mono/1198S

Mood: Messing with diagnostics
This is a good source of info on the ST

http://www.bike-gizmos.com/DucatiSTFAQ.pdf

Use the text search for 'coolant'. There is a description of how to bleed the system.