Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 14-Jul-2006, 19:35
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twpd
Only if you are putting 30+ on the grid, otherwise it's irrelevant. You could just have 10-20 riders turn up for a race but, you could hardly legitimately claim there was 30+ on a regular basis, could you?
Another one at it where have I claimed there are 30+ on a regular basis

My words were
"As rep for the 583 class I think of the 30 plus riders that are campaigning this seasons championship and have to consider what best serves the class they race in"

I think I can legitimately claim that there are 23+ class B riders on a regular basis at races in this country, which at every track we race at in this country would make up more than half of the grid

As it has already been suggested in other threads on this notice board or on the DD one that we should look at going to the likes of Mallory instead of the likes of Castle Combe in 2007, how will one combined grid work with 32 starting slots available, I can't see it being in the best interests of Class B.

I would like to see Class B grow futher and Class A at least get to the entry levels that Class B is regularly at, which is why for the second meeting running I have entered class A as well as class B and I'm not the only one to have done that.

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 14-Jul-2006, 19:38
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Are we going to Mallory then?

How many people have signed up for 2007?
Old 14-Jul-2006, 19:43
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
You don't get it do you Kev?

Don't play semantics with me over words. I don't have the statistics to hand but riders doing one or two races hardly constitutes doing a championship, does it? Therefore you do not have 30+ riders. The numbers on the grid say it all! You don't have enough riders competing otherwise you would have two races. End of!

The only thing that matters is riders on the grid.
Old 14-Jul-2006, 19:58
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by domski
Lot's of if's and but's.

FOUR of those 32 points scorers have only done one meeting!! So that's 28 'regulars' and one of them only did 2 meetings!

You haven't had 25 on a grid Kev. Admit it!

Still far more than Class A and there are new entries to Class B joining in

[quote=domski]
You're correct, you can make suggestions. You can even have an opinion on things, of course you can. However, you said "As rep for the 583 class I have to consider what best serves the class they race in." which is not the case is it. It's not up to you to make any decisions on what happens with the class. It's your job to liase with the class riders and then put forward the class opinion to the race committee - and that may not me your personal opinion.
[quote]

Never said it would be my personal opinion,
I have to consider what the riders in Class B want or to put it another way "As rep for the 583 class I have to consider what best serves the class they race in."
So if a ballot of the 583 riders is required to get a majority decision to take to the RC then thats what I will do,

Quote:
I see that as the most seasoned racer in DesmoDue, you find yourself in 4th place. Will you be staying in the 'novice' class for a third season Kev, or are you ready to move up and give the novices a chance?

Sorry Class B is not a novice class it is a cheap race class to enable DSC members to go racing. This is something I was campaigning last year when I was racing the same 583 as I am now against 675s and 620s , which is why I want to see Class B to continue to exist.
For the 2nd meeting running I have put in an entry for Class A as I have a bike that I can race in that class and I hope to be able to sell my class B bike to someone next year that wants to do a bit of cheap racing with a friendly crowd

Quote:
That doesn't mean a thing though.

Thousands of racers are eligible for national licences - even you!! So what are you doing in Class B?

It's up to the rider to apply for a national licence, but for most people there is no need, so they keep a clubman licence (or whatever it is).

Why am I in class B, I've just given the reason above

So why are you in DD when your life ambition was to do the TT and then with British and Canadian racing you were going to be racing in MRO, after all you've beaten Moto GP regular James Ellison,
So what you doing racing in a one make series with a restricted entry are you about to move up at the end of the season

Old 14-Jul-2006, 20:08
Dibble

sniff ... sniff .... i think the dirty laundry is coming out again, maybe this might be better in DSC Topics before it gets out of hand.

Just an opinion, not a dig.
Old 14-Jul-2006, 20:11
MotoGP God

Quote:
You don't get it do you Kev?

Don't play semantics with me over words. I don't have the statistics to hand but riders doing one or two races hardly constitutes doing a championship, does it? Therefore you do not have 30+ riders. The numbers on the grid say it all! You don't have enough riders competing otherwise you would have two races. End of!

The only thing that matters is riders on the grid.

But I do get it

Combined grids with riders as reserves is not going to attract more entrants to the series, if we continually get restricted to single grids of 40 or less then the number of DD entrants are likely to drop.

I just can't see this as being in the best interest of the series no matter what class you are in and for some reason we are not attracting everyone that has a bike and has raced in the series back on a regular basis.

Reasons could be
People don't like being reserves
People don't like getting lapped
People don't think it good value
People are just fed up with it.

Old 14-Jul-2006, 20:12
Ducati Corse

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
Another one at it where have I claimed there are 30+ on a regular basis

I think I can legitimately claim that there are 23+ class B riders on a regular basis at races in this country, which at every track we race at in this country would make up more than half of the grid

Which is somewhat different from 30+ you claimed were competing in the championship. People are only competing if they are turning up on a regular basis.

Quote:
As it has already been suggested in other threads on this notice board or on the DD one that we should look at going to the likes of Mallory instead of the likes of Castle Combe in 2007, how will one combined grid work with 32 starting slots available, I can't see it being in the best nterests of Class B.

Well as class B regularly fields the most I can't quite see how class B suffers unless class A is given priority which, as you well know, is not the case. It's first come, first served.

Quote:
I would like to see Class B grow futher and Class A at least get to the entry levels that Class B is regularly at, which is why for the second meeting running I have entered class A as well as class B and I'm not the only one to have done that.

Then get more on the grid. Make the series more appealing, make it simple, make the meetings 2 day affairs and move some of the meetings further north to attract northern riders.
Old 14-Jul-2006, 20:12
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Quote:
So why are you in DD when your life ambition was to do the TT and then with British and Canadian racing you were going to be racing in MRO, after all you've beaten Moto GP regular James Ellison.

So what you doing racing in a one make series with a restricted entry are you about to move up at the end of the season

My ambition was indeed to do the TT (sorry for having one) and the one chance I had was taken away by the Foot & Mouth virus (different to the Foot IN Mouth virus you appear to have). The British Canadian racing thing was simply a name I came up with when I raced with a bloke from Canada for 2 meetings in 2003 on a bog standard ZXR400.

I did beat James Ellison you're right, only in a couple of races - but it's still true!

No doubt if you were faster, you would have beaten some top riders by now too. You've been around long enough. Who knows, one day you may be able to tell the story of the time you raced against Dominic Cann - but the response may well be "Who?"

What am I doing racing in a one make series? Well for a start, I'm eligible and secondly I'm winning. What are you doing?

This is my third full season too, the others being 2005 and 1998.

I really should be thinking about moving in to MotoGP

Last edited by domski : 14-Jul-2006 at 20:29.
Old 14-Jul-2006, 20:23
Ducati Corse

Quote:
But I do get it

Combined grids with riders as reserves is not going to attract more entrants to the series, if we continually get restricted to single grids of 40 or less then the number of DD entrants are likely to drop.

I just can't see this as being in the best interest of the series no matter what class you are in and for some reason we are not attracting everyone that has a bike and has raced in the series back on a regular basis.

Reasons could be
People don't like being reserves
People don't like getting lapped
People don't think it good value
People are just fed up with it.

You need to get things in perspective. This is the 2nd season only. The series is actually doing pretty well imo. It took 2 yrs before minitwins really got going and that is with the biggest club in the country.

Reserves are a fact of life in most classes in most clubs
If people don't like getting lapped then they need to up their game.
No racing is good value if you look at it in the cold light of day but, that's not why we do it, is it?

I've pointed out where I as an outsider think the series could be improved. I'd like to do the series but, I'm a national licence holder so that is me out of the frame...and one lost rider.
Old 14-Jul-2006, 20:37
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Quote:
I'd like to do the series but, I'm a national licence holder so that is me out of the frame...and one lost rider.

Yeah, bloody national licence holders! Tsk!

Your bike is too slow for DD anyway

You'll need a 975 next season, plus you can only enter Class B, and you're not allowed to beat anyone - got that!!