Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 20-Jun-2004, 17:05
Bevel Head

New 620 Sport

I've just got a new 620 sport ... the full fairing one. From what I've read here and there it seems that it has a few "budget" items on it to keep the cost down. So, I was wondering if it is worth me fitting/changing the following:

1) rear shock .... apparently a bit of a cheapo job on there. Worth getting something like an Ohlins one?

2) tyres .... again not the best apparently. "Aged design" I think I read somewhere. Any recommendations?

3) steering damper ...... it doesn't have one as standard but there is one in the accessories catalogue. Benefits worth the money?
Old 20-Jun-2004, 17:32
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: Diavel, very non-std black & white ;)

Mood: Lucky? For some, maybe!
No! Dont do it!

Resist all temptation to upgrade a bike until you've kept it a year as you'll probably want to change it anyway.
Save yer pennies for a year or two then go for either a 1000DS or a 749s.
Smart though the 620s undoubtedly is to look at, one day you'll find yourself playing catch up and scare yourself sh - sh - sh - witless.
If you like your bikes with a Sporting appearance then you'll eventually be looking for a bike that looks as nice as yours but, no disrespect cos I got on very nicely with a 750ss, has a bit more in the "oomph" dept
When you've had the use of the OE michelins then get some Bridgestones - 010 front and 020 rear- you WILL feel a difference
Congrats on the new bike, take it easy on the road for a couple of thou til you get used to the totally different power delivery on a v-twin

[Edited on 20-6-2004 by psychlist]
Old 20-Jun-2004, 17:51
Bevel Head

well .... that was sort of my train of thought too a bit. I actually wanted a 749 Dark but was a little worried that it might be a bit much as my first bigger bike. I'm more used to riding scooters (lambretta/vespa etc) so there's a lot for me to get used to. I'm going to get a little bit of refresher rider traing too.

I was a little concerned at the "bargain basement" parts on mine though.
Old 20-Jun-2004, 17:55

Mood: ..runnin on fumes....
Hi There

..congrats on the new machine

..I'd go with psychlist as far as holding off on purchases is concerned.. everyone's tastes are different and you might find that regardless of what you've read that everything is perfect for you... and shocks and tyres take a bit of learning before you find their limits too so if they aint broke..

..and if god rode an RGV250 he'd have fitted a steering damper.. but everyone knows god rides a Ducati - if you need a steering damper.. you'll know when the time comes !

Cheers

Dano
Old 20-Jun-2004, 17:59
Ducati in my Blood

Refresher rider training is a brilliant idea, if only more people had the sense to realise it. Try putting bikesafe in google and doing a search, dunno if Hants constabulary do anything along those lines anymore, if not then would you be interested in having a word with West Sussex Advanced Motorcyclists group? We/they'd be only too pleased to help out, it's not as expensive as intensive training, and it's more fun!
The bits fitted on your Sport may not be "top line" but they work well enough, and it'll be a while before you get near to finding them holding you back. Give yourself a chance to get used to the bike and enjoy it as it is, if you still feel the same next summer then spend away Meanwhile get polishing
Old 20-Jun-2004, 18:14
Bevel Head

Yes , I think Hants Police do a bikesafe session although the booking of it looks complicated. I've got a mate who runs a scooter shop/workshop (Scooter Loopy in Fareham) .... he's got a mate who works for a Gosport Rider Training firm .... can't rememeber their name. He suggested I get him to take me out for a private session sometime.

When you said "we/they" about the West Sussex Advanced Motorcyclists group did that mean that you are involved with them? What sort of thing would you suggest?

My current dilemma is with clothing. I've managed to pick up all the necessary stuff but have a slight problem with trousers and boots. I bought dainese textile trousers (rochester) and some boots (rap) but I'm having trouble getting the damn boots done up properly with trousers tucked in. The trousers may be a little long anyway as the knee prtectors hang a little lower than the knee although I thought this may be ok when in "driving position" , i.e. they might rise up a little. The problem I think is that the shin protectors in the trousers are making it difficult to zip the boots up. Hmm ... it seems I'm rambling a little!

Oh Dan ......... thanks for the congratulations by the way.
Old 20-Jun-2004, 18:28
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Smiley and waiting for the sunshine
Congrats...Hipshaker...

I haven't had my 750 sport for a year yet but am already spending...It's how you feel about it at the time.
These guys are talking in hindsight BUT I'd say if you want the mods...do them.
I changed the cans..Bought a cowl for the rear seat...Change the number plate, holder and rear indicators...Mirrors...indicators...Added decals...and by the time my full year is up will have dual front disks. I know I'm not going to get back what I paid for them but it makes ME feel pretty damn smart riding it...I am already hankering after a 748/749 dark...so I know that it wont be long before I change.
Live Now...I say.
Old 21-Jun-2004, 09:10
Ducati in my Blood

Wise thinking..........if your mate can do you a good "deal" on some intensive training then go for it, but make sure it's combined theory and follow the leader type stuff, that way you get to learn the ropes and see them being put into practise before getting him to watch you trying it out for yerself.
Yes, I am involved as a member of WSAM, was hoping to be an observer by now but I put that back a bit after last September , Mel at CMW is the new member co-ordinator, tell her I gave you the tip, she'll be able to say how much it all costs but it will be cheaper on a short term basis than a full on course and you get a discount on yer insurance after you pass
Did you take yer boots or trousers wiv yer when you tried on yer trousers or boots? Some trousers are designed to wear over the boots, stops any water trickling down yer legs and filling the boots up . My boots have got an adjustable top so you can fit them snugly round yer calf over my trousers. My trousers are bit long too but by the time I've clamped them in me boots and zipped them to me jacket they hold in place, especially when in position on the bike
Happy to discuss any of this if you want to call or meet some time, give me a U2U or e-mail.
Ride safe

[Edited on 21-6-2004 by psychlist]
Old 21-Jun-2004, 10:05
Big Twin

Mood: suck, squeeze, bang,......fart?
Congrats Hipshaker, a great first "big bike".

I can highly recommend the bikesafe courses. They are cheap (£25) and most people will get a lot out of the day whether you are a newbie or an experieced rider.
It should be very easy to book onto a course - the only problem is the long leadtime for the popular days (weekends are probably 2 months in advance).

cheers, Chi
Old 22-Jun-2004, 23:48
Bevel Head

Thanks for the congrats/advice etc. I've managed to get an avatar up of the bike too.

Psychlist ..... I think I may speak to Mel about the traing stuff, I've got to pop into CMW about my speedo. Trousersa and boots are semi ersolved, I sent them both back. Will attempt to but them both at the same time sometime soon.

Kwikbitch ...... I just love the look of the 749 Dark ...... it might sound like sacrilege here but I'm not a fan of red as a colour!