Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 08-May-2005, 23:04
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
sold my old 916 Strada race bike with slipper clutch, Ohlins shock and a few other bits for £2800 and I sold my 748 racebike with the SP engine for less than that with spare wheels.
So going the 620 route is not necessarily the cheapest way into racing a Ducati,
Old 08-May-2005, 23:07
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Quote:
Originally posted by skidlids
So going the 620 route is not necessarily the cheapest way into racing a Ducati,

which is why I think the field should be split for next year - saves newcomers spending lots on 620's or BB kits - can just run std 583's and still be in with a good chance in 'their' section

C
Old 08-May-2005, 23:11
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally posted by Monty
So we settled on 600's and apart from the 583-620 debate it looks pretty good don't you think

I'm sure it will look alot different after the next two rounds where top speed is going to count a lot, there is no way my 583 will be able to pull the same gearing as a 674 or 620, especially the 6 speed ones.
At least I have a fairing, be handy if I could tuck in behind it.
Old 08-May-2005, 23:11
Big Twin

Mood: Train comes and I know its destination
It isn't just the cost of purchasing of the bike that is relevant here ... air-cooled 2Vs are cheaper to maintain than 4V jobbies, so the running costs for DesmoDue will always be less than for "DesmoQuattro". IMO.
Old 08-May-2005, 23:14
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by Loz
It isn't just the cost of purchasing of the bike that is relevant here ... air-cooled 2Vs are cheaper to maintain than 4V jobbies, so the running costs for DesmoDue will always be less than for "DesmoQuattro". IMO.

No one is disputing that Loz.

The idea of 748's or anything else would purely be an EXTRA class, not a replacement.

Obviously people then have a choice
Old 08-May-2005, 23:19
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally posted by Loz

It would be the overall cost that I would be looking at though. If we went down the 2V 800 route then the 748 would be significantly cheaper to buy and would therefore offer you the same overall cost or in fact be actually cheaper. The 2V 900 might be cheaper again. But if we already had the 'cheap' class as the Desmo Due series then I don't see why a slightly higher spec Desmo Quattro (or Desmo Due but larger capacity series) wouldn't be a great addition to the DSC racing calendar for '06.

Given that and if I had the choice I would choose to race a 4 valver. For me that's what they were designed for so it makes sense to do it - there's a sort of romantic appeal to it for me. Don't tell my wife I used that R word in a sentence!

If I had larger genitals I'd consider getting a 748R or similar and run it in the axe murderers next year.

But sadly I don't
Old 08-May-2005, 23:19
Big Twin

Sure thing Dom, just answering Skidlids post. Although, I have a worry that by providing a choice of series, you may possibly split a finite "pot" of participants into two (or more) under-subscribed series. Maybe after a second year of Desmo Due is a good idea?

My personal opinion is that discussing an additional class at this time is premature - but I acknowledge people's right to do so
Old 08-May-2005, 23:25
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by TP
It would be the overall cost that I would be looking at though. If we went down the 2V 800 route then the 748 would be significantly cheaper to buy and would therefore offer you the same overall cost or in fact be actually cheaper.

Sorry Tony, but why would 748s be cheaper than 800s over the course of a season (assuming a conservative one crash out of six to eight meets)?

Quote:
The 2V 900 might be cheaper again. But if we already had the 'cheap' class as the Desmo Due series then I don't see why a slightly higher spec Desmo Quattro (or Desmo Due but larger capacity series) wouldn't be a great addition to the DSC racing calendar for '06.

If you said 2007 calendar, you'd have no argument from me!
Old 08-May-2005, 23:25
MotoGP God

Between myself and Dallas we ran the 916 Strada for over 3 seasons, just replaced the oil, filter and Belts on a regular basis and the clutch once, so was quite cheap to race only marginally more than my Fireblade and less than my TL as I kept spending money on trying to get my TL to handle properly.
Old 08-May-2005, 23:29
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally posted by Loz
Quote:
Originally posted by TP
It would be the overall cost that I would be looking at though. If we went down the 2V 800 route then the 748 would be significantly cheaper to buy and would therefore offer you the same overall cost or in fact be actually cheaper.

Sorry Tony, but why would 748s be cheaper than 800s over the course of a season (assuming a conservative one crash out of six to eight meets)?
Because 748's are a lot cheaper to buy when compared to the 2V 800's

Quote:
Quote:
The 2V 900 might be cheaper again. But if we already had the 'cheap' class as the Desmo Due series then I don't see why a slightly higher spec Desmo Quattro (or Desmo Due but larger capacity series) wouldn't be a great addition to the DSC racing calendar for '06.

If you said 2007 calendar, you'd have no argument from me!

Why does it matter? What difference would it make to you, or anyone else if it there were two series on offer for DSC members next year?

Please bear in mind as well that we're merely thinking out loud. I've stated above clearly that I think the current Desmo Due series would take priority over, and perhaps at the expense of, any other series that could get off the ground.