Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 08-May-2005, 21:38

Buying Tips?? for a 900ss

First of all I'd like to say hello to you all and I thought it was about time I registered after being nosy for a couple of weeks!
I've been given first shout on a '93 900ss that's been unused for almost 2 years. All I've seen is pictures of it and have fallen in love. The guy is asking £1000 for it. I know the tank is dented, after his Mille fell on it. Unfortunately neither me or the bike are in the UK until July so anything that needs doing to it will have to be DIY. I'm an experience mechanic and think putting new cambelts on for starters. Is there anything else you think I'll need to look at? Any thoughts on the bike?
Cheers
Steve
Back on the road after being 'off road'

[Edited on 8-5-2005 by tightlines]
Old 08-May-2005, 21:53
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
Hi Steve, welcome to the board! Mine's a bucket of guiness please....

If it's been unused for two years you'll definitely want to change the belts (possibly before starting it up. although it should be ok). I'd also look at changing the tyres, chain (unless it was greased), etc.

There may be a couple of seals on their way out (output shaft seal), especially those that have been out of contact with oil for a while. Worn swingarm shims can have a dire effect on handling, as can head bearings.

Sounds like a bargain, you can do an awful lot to a 900 for a few hundred quid. A US company does full stainless bolt kits for about £30, a single seat (SL style) from Ricambi Weiss in germany is about £50, High level termis or Sils c.£200, carb-warming kit (standard on later models) £70, tinted screen £45, etc, etc. All of a sudden you've spent £5k on an SS, but it's money well spent!

Have fun and lets see some pics when you get back.

Cheers,

Ali
Old 08-May-2005, 21:57

Ali,
Nice one, exactly the reply I was looking for.
Thanks very much
Steve
Old 08-May-2005, 21:57
500SD

Mood: Must fix Superlight... Must fix Superlight...
Definitely new belts before you even start it....

Things to check on '93 SSs. Frames can crack on the top tubes near the headstock. If it has an alloy swingarm then check for cracks at the pinchbolts at the engine end. Leaking clutch slave cylinders (not difficult to sort). Check for broken cylinder head bolts. Clutch noise is normal and doesn't really go away even with new basket and plates. Petrol tanks can rust internally especially on the back seam. Engine will sound noisy "They all do that, Sir"

If it's been sitting for a couple of years the fuel system'll need stripping down and cleaning out plus all the other usual service type stuff.

On the other hand if that all sounds like a lot of work SS's are a pice of piddle to work on. All the guff you read about desmo valves being tricky is rubbish. Compared to working on and adjusting the valves on a modern UJM you can reach everything with hands the size of Guy the Gorilla. Trickiest thing about doing a SS's valves is working out how to support the backend when you take the shock off.

Good info sites include http://www.ducatitech.com/ and http://www.ducatisuite.com/home.html

Darren
Old 08-May-2005, 22:13

Thanks Darren,
You may have put some newbies off with that!! But I'm sick, that's music to my ears. My problem is, a friend of the seller is bring it to me (not as dodgy as it sounds, details are to boring to go into) if he can get it started! I think I'll convince him to leave it and transport it in a van/trailer. (if it's not to late)
Thank again
Steve

[Edited on 8-5-2005 by tightlines]
Old 09-May-2005, 11:06
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Steve,

A lot of us here have recently started racing SS bikes, albeit the smaller 600 engines, so a lot of our experiences are probably the kind of things you'll be up against too.

I completely stripped and rebuilt my 600SS and have kept a blog of it, along with a few pictures, here: http://www.horrible.demon.co.uk/bikes/racing2005.htm
You might find some handy info if you cut through the waffle

With a few hundred quid on top you should get yourself a really good machine sorted at the end of it.

Good luck and keep us informed of how you get on.
Old 09-May-2005, 11:21
500SD

Mood: Must fix Superlight... Must fix Superlight...
Forgot to mention the carbs used on the bike suffer from emulsion tubes that ovalise over the miles. More info here http://66.47.68.116/products/needle%...20rebuild.html
Old 09-May-2005, 22:01

Darren-Thanks for the link
Antony-I've just spent most of the night reading your antics, great stuff and good luck with the racing.
Steve
Old 09-May-2005, 22:38
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Hopefully, welcome to the great world of Duke ownership...

some info:

http://www.ducati.net/faq.cfm?id=41

Frank
Old 11-May-2005, 21:27

Thanks Frank
I've convince me mate to use a trailer, so hopefully I'll have pics to put up real soon. (rebuilding it, I have a habit of refurb's!)
Thanks for all the support! (sorry I sound like a little kid, please mister can I come and play!) But I really am grateful for all the advice you've all given me.
Steve