Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 29-Nov-2004, 22:25
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Geek Time: Half-Life 2

If you're not into computer games then go back to the topic index now ... you have been warned!

Having played the first installment of Half-Life, then all the expansion packs, I was pretty keen to get my hands on Half-Life 2 when it first came out.

One purchase for 29.99 later at PC World and I got home and installed it....

It ran fine on my old PIII 933MHz system with 512Mb of Ram and a Radeon 9000 card, which amazed me as this is less than their minimum spec machine! It was totally playable without any problems at all, whereas I couldn't even run Doom3!

But I decided to upgrade anyway and one Shuttle SB75G2 XPC with a P4 3.2GHz, 1Gb RAM, 160Gb Seagate SATA and a Radeon 9800 Pro and it absolutely rocks at 1280x1024 in 32bit colour with everything on maximum detail!

Anyway, the game itself is awesome. If you liked the first one you'll *love* this as it's more of the same but so, so much better. The maps are huge and the physics engine is amazing and so lifelike.

With the addition of vehicles, a whole new load of weapons and aliens to contend with (along with some familiar old ones like those b*stard head crabs!) it'll make you jump all over again.

Go out and buy it right now!

/geek

Old 29-Nov-2004, 22:32
Big Twin

I've got a similar spec machine, and as you say it runs great.

I have to say, although the graphics and the physics of the game are superb, the levels of the game are a little disapointing to me. I'm about 2/3rds of the way through it and apart from a couple of great moments...the levels have been fairly linear. I'd love to be able to walk around and explore...but if you try you just get shot at from everywhere!!!

At the same time as buying HL2, I also bought Far Cry, and have to say, I have been playing this more. Its a stunning game in every sense...for overall playability and fun...it beats HL2 in my book.

We could get really geeky and talk about benchmark scores and stuff...nah thats just plain sad!
Old 29-Nov-2004, 22:37
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
That's odd, I found that a lot of the levels are huge and just ripe for walking around and exploring to try and find the hidden stuff, but I know what you mean about it keeping you on a guiding path so you know where you're going.

Besides, killing *all* the enemies is half the fun!
Old 29-Nov-2004, 23:03
Big Twin

Take the powerboat level for example...don't know if you've been there yet but it must have gone on for about 40 minutes, and not through mega landscapes but barren wasteland etc. It got to a point where I thought I'd maybe took a wrong turn as it just seemed to be going on forever!

The only time you stopped the boat was to do a simple task like open a gate or summut.

Don't get me wrong...its clearly a very good game with real cutting edge features...but I can't help but feel a little disapointed...I guess after all of the hype...it was going to be very difficult to make everyone happy (now where have I heard that before 'he says looking at a piccy of the 999')
Old 29-Nov-2004, 23:31
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: stiff and tired
I listen to this daily!!

I had to endure much cursing when trying to get out of the room with all the pipes and water and the barrels!!

I have to admire his will power though, he managed to resist loading it for all of a week as he was determined to get further in GTA SA before he got hooked on HL2

Mind you it has its plus side over UT as I don't get shouted at for using up the bandwidth if i want to surf!!

I feel it is sad that I have been deserted in favour of 'Gordon'

ah well....peace and quiet
Old 29-Nov-2004, 23:58
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: st2......we can rebuild
not tried half life 2 yet
but far cry is the best game ever
done it twice now
just getting into dooom 3 at the momment
that aint to bad either,scares the pants out of you though
Old 30-Nov-2004, 00:10
Big Twin

Yeah...doom 3 is OK...but is pretty much a super graphics version of the original doom. If it wasn't for its history it would only be 'OK' in my books.

You are right though Glyn...played in a dark room with the 5.1 cranked right up...its a hoot
Old 30-Nov-2004, 02:13
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Well, I haven't tried Far Cry of Half Life 2 yet. I've been trying to come to grips with Doom 3 - even upgraded my video card to a x800 for it!

It's fantastic, although I'm crapola ... but I haven't been playing it much, I'e started to figure out that you need to play it fairly aggressively to progress.

Nice

Bloody nerds!!
Old 30-Nov-2004, 11:06
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
tried halo 2 yet?? great game, even play as an alien! The speed which everything happens is lightening - and some of the sounds add to the suspense....my boy loves it!!
Old 30-Nov-2004, 11:15
Big Twin

Now your being funny mate...X-box...your so old skool!:P

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit