Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 22-Jul-2006, 19:24
500SD

Suspenders sir???

Hi there,

Boring techy question I'm afraid. Can anyone running a monster (mine is a 95) with Marzocchi forks tell me how many rings show through the yokes as standard? And also what they are running for racing? I know different people might be running with different settings but i just want to know what the base setting is and take it from there.

Also I went down to the garage to have a play with the bike and found that I had left the "run" switch on (no key ignition on the bike) anyway all electrics are now dead. I charge the batery up last night but was getting a strange reading on the charger (usually it counts down as it chages and once it is finished it sits on trickle) anyway no lights showing whatsoever except for the green power light on the charge. Hooked it back up to the bike and still no joy. The battery was new a few months ago. Have I shagged it somehow?

Any offers of charity happily received ;-)

cheerws

Franco
Old 22-Jul-2006, 19:48
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
can't answer about the suspension, but your battery has obviously run completely flat. Fully discharged batteries are difficult to recover - mine did recently and I couldn't get it to accept any charge so had to buy a new one.
Sometimes a trickle charge can bring them back to life - do you have an optimate?
Old 22-Jul-2006, 19:56
500SD

****** that. Don't really need another expense at the moment!!! No, havn't got an optimate I'm afraid although my charger has a kind of trickle function on it.

Know where to get a cheap battery by any chance :-((
Old 22-Jul-2006, 20:58
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Franco, I have a old spare you could borrow if stuck? and Nick is right in what he says about charger not getting a stuffed one on the go again.
also might be worth asking on the UKMOC site about the forks base setting?

Last edited by AK : 22-Jul-2006 at 21:36. Reason: added a bit
Old 23-Jul-2006, 10:10
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
We've always got batteries in the paddock (OEM Ducati Yuasa ones) as new for a tenner. Come and find us if you want one! #111

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 23-Jul-2006, 10:11
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God

Oh, and as for the Marzocchi, I always ran with just 2 rings showing, the 2nd ring being right on the yoke.

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 23-Jul-2006, 10:37
Big Twin

Mood: DD 2006: 4th Top Rookie. DD 2007: 2nd Class B. DD 2008: 2nd Class B.
hi mate

i played with a few setting on the supension and iv got as many rings showing as i could at the moment and the bike just fall into corner and its not unstable on the strights. just pay anround with the setting try to think what difference it makes and go with what you like.

battry cant remeber what bike i had but the battry problem sound like something i once had one of my wires got hot and melted again something and then earthed discharginf the battery and it never recovered i changed the battery and the wire that had melted.

i know that the batterys on the ss breather pipes can get bolcked poping the plugs on top of the battery and then it losses water and can real mess up the battery ( that early ss ) . battery for a 600ss are not much over a £10

good look sorting it
Old 23-Jul-2006, 17:37
500SD

Cheers all for the advice

Dom - Playing is what i am doing but wanted to know the base settings of the bike to have a starting point. I guess Ducati must have had a plan for how the bike should work before a philistine like me got hold of it ;-)
I may try Antonye's 2 ring showing as mine are showing 5 which is how i got the bike. There's bound to be a difference whether good or bad another thing. Fun trying though.

Antonye - when you mention "as new" for a Yuassa do you mean new or have a missed something? Just that I bouight a Yuassa in the past one and it wasn't cheap!! If i definitely can't get this batter up and running (if it is the battery) would you be able to send me a battery - obviously plus postage costs - as I can't wait till Donnington?

Thanks again all
Old 23-Jul-2006, 17:59
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God

As new means that they are used batteries, but have been reconditioned through the battery cycle machine that Mark (my pit bitch) has at work, so are as good as new.

Most cheap chargers (ie, Optimates) cannot recover a deep discharged battery, hence you need the machine that goes ping to sort them.

You're not allowed to post batteries due to the fact that they are "live", so it would be collection only ... plus it would cost more to post than the battery itself!

See if you can scrounge one for now, then come and see me at Donington.

Old 23-Jul-2006, 18:09
500SD

Thanks Antonye - understand about the sending. I will see what I can sort out.
You doing the track day on the 23th first?