Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 01-Jul-2004, 17:10

how much for a full fairing?

In my quest to find a 750 ss ff i have found a half faired version, how much would it cost me to convert it to a full fairing jobbie? Is it easy to do? anyone here done something similar?

Cheers

Al
Old 01-Jul-2004, 20:06
Big Twin

Mood: suck, squeeze, bang,......fart?
Hi Al,
Should be pretty easy to do. All you need is the 2 side panels (the top fairing is the same), two spacers (for where the back of the side panels fit to the bike, and the bolts & plates that connect the side panels at the bottom.

The expense is down to how much the panels cost. Nice pair of carbon panels on ebay but you could probably find cheaper by phoning around breakers.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Note that the side panels are the same for the 600, 750 and 900SS. There were 2 designs - slab-sided (like the ones in the ebay ad) and a version with airscoops at the back (see attached piccie). 888 panels also look like they would fit but I haven't checked this out.

Did you already buy the 750?

cheers,
Chi
Old 01-Jul-2004, 21:51

no not yet matey. I'm finding it difficult to find one that i want, there's a couple on ebay, i e mailed the sellers saying i was very interested but i wouldn't bid without a viewing / test ride - neither replied. No way i'm going to bid on something i haven't seen. Which narrows it down to a choice of two, a nice 2001 yellow model full fairing at £3600 and a red half fairing at £3000. think my colour preference is red so if i can get the side panels for £2-300 i'd be inclined to go for the red one?

Choices choices

One thing that i find odd, is there seems to be a lot of 2 - 4 year old bikes with less than 1k miles on them, is this wierd or not? How do ducatis like being sat around for long periods without being used? just a thought.

Better keep looking, i hate car/bike shopping as there are so many turkeys out there. Oh well
Old 01-Jul-2004, 22:23
500SD

Mood: Blooo Duke gets red heads
Hey Ali
ferget the full fairing
add a bellypan to a 1/2 faired model
looks the DBs, is sooooo different and stands out from the crowd
u2u me if u want to know more
rgds
mort
Old 01-Jul-2004, 22:24
500SD

Mood: Must fix Superlight... Must fix Superlight...
So does it live again Chi or are you just posting a picture to remind yourself of what used to be...?

The side panels Chi is talking about are only for the earlier slab sided SS's. Since you're looking (I think) at later curvy bikes the situation is different. I believe the later fully faired new style bikes have lugs on the top fairing panels to attach the lowers to. The half faired model probably doesn't have those lugs. That'd mean not only would you need the lowers but you'd need new uppers too. Saying that as they come up quite often on ebay it needn't be "that" expensive....

As for why lots of very low mileage late SS's seem to appear on the market how's this for a theory. "Some" people buy them with the expectation of being able to jump on and tear around everywhere with the ease they would on a Japanese bike. They get on this modern style bike and find that it's not massively comfortable, doesn't go very fast and can be a bit of a pig to ride..... All in all it turns into a bit of a disappointment. Owners of older style SS's like Chi, Frank and me know our bike isn't the latest hot poop speed machine. We love the bike the way it is (Wouldn't mind a bit more power though...) and accept that it's all part of the character of owning a 2 valve desmo Ducati. Late style owners may well come to the bike thinking it's a modern up to date bike when in reality it's just an old burner with new clothes.... It doen't make it any the less of a bike but if it's not what you were expecting....

Still what do I know...
Old 01-Jul-2004, 22:31
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: Diavel, very non-std black & white ;)

Mood: Lucky? For some, maybe!
Quote:
Originally posted by FiscusFish
Still what do I know...

A lot about what you like mate All power to your elbow
Old 01-Jul-2004, 23:06

Hey fish, what do you mean 'a bit of a pig to ride' and 'pretty uncomfortable' are you trying to put me off i've got to get me a test ride on one of these beasties to see if i'm going to get on with it. I wanna enjoy riding not avoid it!
Old 02-Jul-2004, 08:33
Big Twin

Mood: suck, squeeze, bang,......fart?
Quote:
Originally posted by FiscusFish
So does it live again Chi or are you just posting a picture to remind yourself of what used to be...?

Darren, it's going to be a while yet - the ingredients are there and now the cook (Nelly) needs to work his magic, and I'm definitely looking forward to the tasting!

Al, sorry mate - I thought you were after the older carby-SS. What Darren says is right - the injected bikes are harder to convert.

While we are on the subject of fairings, do people notice the difference? Comparing my bandit (unfaired, bikini screen) to the SS, I get buffetted about the same (although I rarely ventured into 3-digit mph). Soooo....are they just for show?
Old 02-Jul-2004, 15:02

Mood: ..runnin on fumes....
Hi

Quote:
One thing that i find odd, is there seems to be a lot of 2 - 4 year old bikes with less than 1k miles on them, is this wierd or not? How do ducatis like being sat around for long periods without being used? just a thought.

..I'm with the fish on this (u can add me to the list of carby lovers ) - my beloved 91 is no japo superbike but my running mates ride a sorted blade and a firestorm respectively, neither of em are what you would call shrinking violets, and they've never managed to put more than a couple of hundred yards on me an mine over a dozen or twenty miles... that's the duke experience... in town they are a bit of a handful .. but why not, it's basically two 450 singles bolted together, but give it some tarmac and you'll understand in an instant what all the fuss is about....

..and to answer your question, mine sat still for damn near two years in my mates dry garage... put a new battery and some clean fuel and she started second throw - and I have met a few that wanted a duke cos they thought it would make them look good, which they do for sure, but autopilot aint an option

cheers

Dano