Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 23-Dec-2003, 20:53
Montjuic

Mood: Sweet!!
Strange Problem.............

I've got a problem with my 900SS FE that hopefully someone has heard of before.
(I always warm the bike up). After about 5 mins of running the bike splutters and dies as if it's suddenly run out of fuel, only to fire up again 30 secs later.
This happened 3 times last Sunday in the space of an hour twice in the outside lane of the A1, some nifty indicating and sideways 'filtering' saw me right.
Some form of weird carb icing perhaps..............help.
Old 23-Dec-2003, 21:09
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
check the tank breather, I have one bike that does tha same sort of thing, its not a duke. Opening the filler cap sorts it and as I open the cap you can hear the air rush in to fill the vacuum. The bike was OK all summer only does it in the cold weather.
Old 23-Dec-2003, 21:52
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
It could be the breather,but I think its more likely to be carb icing.The carbed SS's are badly affected by cold weather.Symptoms are poor running below 4,000rpm,stalling and backfiring.I guess your bike will have the carb bowl heater kit as standard?Make sure the tap is in the "winter" position.Also,try a fuel additive like Silkolene FST Pro.Its basically an octane booster to improve the crap petrol we get here.